Prey tells the story of Tommy, a Cherokee garage mechanic stuck on a reservation going nowhere. His life changes when an otherworldly crisis forces him to awaken spiritual powers from his long-forgotten birthright. Abducted along with his people to a menacing mothership orbiting Earth, he sets out to save himself and his girlfriend and eventually his planet.
"Prey raises the bar for first-person shooters and is a must-have game for the summer," said Christoph Hartmann, President, 2K. "Its unique features, crisp graphics and in-depth storyline make it a truly revolutionary game."
In Prey, gamers enter an unpredictable world where nothing can be taken for granted. Most of the game takes place within a living ship, a giant entity that can sense and react to Tommy's presence.
Prey makes use of Joseph's Campbell's renowned story structure, "The Hero's Journey," for guiding the main character arc. Campbell's extensive work on mythological story progression was made famous when George Lucas used it for Luke Skywalker's story arc in the original Star Wars.
"We are proud to continue our tradition of releasing innovative and dynamic games for the PC and console game markets," said Timothy Gerritsen, CEO, Human Head Studios, Incorporated. "Prey is the culmination of nearly five years work to bring a truly innovative product to a first- person shooter market clamoring for something new."
"Prey's greatest message is that a commitment to quality, polish and unique gameplay is a sure-fire way to build a brand and one we strongly believe will have staying power for years to come," said Scott Miller, CEO, 3D Realms. "We believe Prey will be a major hit for gamers worldwide."
- Built on an enhanced Doom 3 engine, the most impressive 3D engine used in a released game.
- Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles.
- Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk.
- Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy.
- A deep, emotional story of love and sacrifice.
- Tommy has a sidekick, a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship.
- Multiplayer game support that takes advantage of the unique gameplay styles in Prey.
Prey for Xbox 360 and PC has been rated "M" for mature by the ESRB.
More articles about Prey