Set in a futuristic world, Omega Five is a shooter that pushes the visuals to the limit for a digital download game. The game feature 3D environments, dazzling special effects, and massive battles, all in high definition. Omega Five is unique in that players can choose from multiple humanoid characters, each with their own unique special attacks and upgradeable weapons, which they can shoot in 360 degrees. Omega Five also includes a 2-player local co-op function in which a friend can join in on the aerial mayhem.
The gameplay follows the tradition of past side-scrolling shooters: as the screen scrolls from right to left, you move your character in two dimensions, either shooting or dodging enemies and their attacks. As you proceed, you can collect both weapon upgrades for your normal attacks and “chips” to power-up your special attacks.
The Tempest is a hulking, four-armed alien, with no problem plowing through hordes of enemies in Omega Five, thanks to his thick skin.
- Weapon Type A: Volcanic Fire – The Tempest’s initial weapon is a scorching stream of fire. The weapon’s alternate attack allows The Tempest to attack enemies around corners, as it locks onto a target while the fire curves to roast enemies.
- Weapon Type B: Corrosive Acid – The Tempest’s second weapon is a highly corrosive blast of acid. Like the fire, the main attack comes out in a stream of liquid death, but the acid’s alternate attack shoots the acid in a wide angle, allowing The Tempest to destroy enemies in a wide area with limited range.
- Weapon Type C: Molten Metal – The third main weapon for The Tempest is a blast of molten metal. While the other two weapons are streams, the metal comes out in boiling bursts. For this weapon’s alternate attack, The Tempest shoots four bursts at once, which home in nearby enemies.
- Reflector Barrier – When an enemy shot gets close to The Tempest, it slows down, and The Tempest is able to reflect it back at enemies (by flicking the right analog stick), using their own fire against them!
- Temporal Dodge – All characters can quickly teleport to another dimension for a brief time, allowing them to avoid enemy attacks, though at the expense of a small amount of life.
- Ultimate Burst – All characters can unleash an enormously destructive nuke-like attack, after having collected at least 100 p-chips (the pink triangles that appear after defeating enemies) to fill one p-jail (the golden triangles at the bottom left of the screen).
- Unbelievable visuals for an XLBA game – No other shooter available on XBLA looks this good. This side-scrolling shooter, the first true next-gen HD shooter, is set in a gorgeous 3D environment.
- Entirely dangerous environments – That ship flying in from the distance isn’t just for decoration. Enemies come at you from all sides, even from the background!
- Challenging gameplay – Play through the game from start to finish in ‘Arcade Mode’ or test yourself with ‘Challenge Mode’, in which you go for the highest score possible on one level. If you’re hardcore enough, you can try your hand at the ultra-difficult ++ Mode, where you're only allowed one hit!
- Choose your merc – Fight as Ruby, Tempest, or other characters, each of whom has multiple unique main weapons, along with both devastating and life-saving special attacks.
- Local co-op – Grab an extra controller and demolish enemies with a friend by your side!
- Unlockables! – Discover new characters, game modes, and options!
- Intuitive controls – A modern control scheme uses the right analog stick to aim and fire.
More articles about Omega Five