Along with an ever expanding line-up of PS3 titles (a total of 65 titles tracking across all genres by Christmas), the new PS3 is equipped with a 40GB HDD and includes all the features central to the High Definition entertainment experience; true next generation gameplay, stunning High Definition Blu-ray Disc movies, SIXAXIS wireless controller, Wi-Fi and HDMI connectivity, all powered by the Cell Broadband Engine, the digital heart of PS3.
As with the 60GB PS3, the new PS3 features upgradeable firmware allowing new features and functionality to be added to the system as time progresses. A recent firmware update, for example, enabled PS3 to upscale DVD’s played on the system to full 1080P High Definition.
The introduction of the new PS3 has been determined following user feedback from thousands of existing PS3 owners as well as research into future potential PS3 owners. The new model features two USB 2.0 ports rather than four and no longer includes the multi memory card port.
The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PS2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).
The existing Starter Pack (in the UK and Ireland, the Starter Pack will be replaced by a separate in-store promotion on the 60GB PS3), comprising a 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility, an additional SIXAXIS wireless controller and two first party titles will be reduced in price to €499. Remaining on sale while stocks last, the 60GB model represents outstanding value for the keen gamer wishing to upgrade to the High Definition capabilities of PS3.
“The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners,” said David Reeves, President of SCEE. “It has allowed us to deliver an extremely advanced, yet incredibly affordable High Definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the needs of the next generation of European PS3 owners. PS3 has always been the device of choice for the discerning gamer and entertainment seeker, and the new PS3 is more than ever the perfect High Definition entertainment system.
PS3 40GB Specification:
- CPU Cell Broadband Engine Processor
- GPU RSX
- Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch , LPCM 7.1ch, AAC
- A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio, supported by Dolby TrueHD or a similar format, from the HDMI OUT connector.
- This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel.
- Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
- HDD 2.5” Serial ATA 40GB
- I/O USB 2.0 x2
- Communication Ethernet x1 (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.11 b/g Included
- Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR) Included
- Wireless controller (Bluetooth) Included
- AV Output
- Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI OUT x1
- "Deep Color" and "x.v.Color (xvYCC)" defined by HDMI ver1.3a are supported.
- AV MULTI OUT x1
- DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x1
- BD/DVD/CD Drive
- (Read Only) Maximum Read Speed BD 2x (BD-ROM)
- DVD 8x (DVD-ROM)
- CD 24x (CD-ROM)
- Dimensions Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)
- Weight Approximately 5 kg