“Band of Bugs is our flagship game and we have received numerous requests to develop it for other systems. We wanted to demonstrate our commitment to these fans as well as reach out to a new set of turn-based strategy players,” said Steve Taylor, president of Wahoo Studios. “Now PC gamers can enjoy the innovative gameplay in Band of Bugs without having to own a console.”
While Band of Bugs delivers the deep strategic combat popular with experienced gamers, NinjaBee also designed the game to be accessible and appealing to those not familiar with the strategy genre. The campaign follows the young bug hero, Maal, as he joins the royal army of the Central Kingdom under the guidance of mantis warrior Tiernan. As Maal grows in understanding and ability, he commands more powerful heroes in larger groups on his way to saving his Queen and defeating the menace that threatens his kingdom.
In addition to the story-based campaign, gamers can play stand-alone missions and online multiplayer battles. The game also features an innovative map editor which allows players to unleash their creativity and design their own maps to play and share with their friends. The number of levels in the game is only limited by each player’s creativity.
- Choose to play through a story-based campaign, stand-alone missions or skirmishes.
- Story-based campaign: Follow the adventures of Maal as he protects his kingdom from evil insect enemies with his select band of bug warriors.
- Stand-alone missions: Each short battle includes a background story, individual goals and exclusive events.
- Skirmish: Variety is the key in this game type: Choose a map, choose a mode (Elimination, Capture or Escape) and choose to control any party in the battle.
- Five unique multiplayer modes for up to 4 players either on one computer or over a network, including:
- Elimination: The first team to lose every bug in one party loses the battle.
- Capture: Capture or defend a strong point.
- Escape: Reach an escape point, or keep the enemy away from that point.
- Mission: A unique scenario with an individual story, events and goals.
- Spider Hunter: a more relaxed game that allows up to 8 people to join and leave as they choose.
- Use the game’s built-in map editor to design your own custom scenarios to play and share with your friends.
- A 20-level story mode campaign featuring heroes, villains, and more tactical insect combat than you can shake a mandible at
- A map editor that lets you create custom levels for play locally or with your friends over a local network or over the Internet
- Multiple online and local skirmish game modes including Escape, Capture, Elimination, and the special online Spider Hunter mode
- Support for extensive additional downloadable content including new levels, campaigns, characters, and environments.
The game will be released Dec. 3, 2007.