Set in a futuristic world, Omega Five is a shooter that pushes the visuals to the limit for a digital download game. The game feature 3D environments, dazzling special effects, and massive battles, all in high definition. Omega Five is unique in that players can choose from multiple humanoid characters, each with their own unique special attacks and upgradeable weapons, which they can shoot in 360 degrees. Omega Five also includes a 2-player local co-op function in which a friend can join in on the aerial mayhem.
The gameplay follows the tradition of past side-scrolling shooters: as the screen scrolls from right to left, you move your character in two dimensions, either shooting or dodging enemies and their attacks. As you proceed, you can collect both weapon upgrades for your normal attacks and “chips” to power-up your special attacks.
Sensei is the wisest member of Omega Five’s group of heroes, and as an unlockable character, one of the more difficult to find. A master of the katana, Sensei needs no guns. He brings with him another of the galaxy’s best warriors, his dog “Rikimaru”, to help him defeat foes.
- Primary Attack – Sensei’s most trusted weapon is his katana. His main attack is always with this sword and any weapon upgrades he picks up not only increase his sword’s range, but also change his alternate attacks. Sensei’s weapon mastery allows him to use his sword to destroy some enemy fire and even perform a spin attack that damages surrounding enemies.
- Alternate Attack - Rikimaru plays a key role in his alternate attacks, as the dog leaps from Sensei’s feet to place targets on enemies. Once targeted, Sensei locks onto enemies and throws deadly projectiles at them.
- Weapon Type A: Bomb –Sensei hurls bombs that explode into blazing fireballs.
- Weapon Type B: Throwing Knives – Sensei peppers enemies with throwing knives.
- Weapon Type C: Shuriken – Sensei unleashes a barrage of shuriken at enemies.
- Dimensional Field – Like the other characters, Sensei can quickly teleport to another dimension for a brief time, allowing him to avoid enemy attacks, though at the expense of a small amount of life. However, when Sensei uses the field, he also inflicts damage on enemies caught in the dimensional shockwave.
- Ultimate Burst – All characters can unleash an enormously destructive nuke-like attack, after having collected at least 100 p-chips (the pink triangles that appear after defeating enemies) to fill one p-jail (the golden triangles at the bottom left of the screen).
- Unbelievable visuals for an XLBA game – No other shooter available on XBLA looks this good. This side-scrolling shooter, the first true next-gen HD shooter, is set in a gorgeous 3D environment.
- Entirely dangerous environments – That ship flying in from the distance isn’t just for decoration. Enemies come at you from all sides, even from the background!
- Challenging gameplay – Play through the game from start to finish in ‘Arcade Mode’ or test yourself with ‘Challenge Mode’, in which you go for the highest score possible on one level. If you’re hardcore enough, you can try your hand at the ultra-difficult ++ Mode, where you're only allowed one hit!
- Choose your merc – Fight as Ruby, Tempest, or other characters, each of whom has multiple unique main weapons, along with both devastating and life-saving special attacks.
- Local co-op – Grab an extra controller and demolish enemies with a friend by your side!
- Unlockables! – Discover new characters, game modes, and options!
- Intuitive controls – A modern control scheme uses the right analog stick to aim and fire.
More articles about Omega Five