Only the most ruthless killers can join the underground elite known as The Club. From developer Bizarre Creations, The Club takes the explosive action of the shooter genre and blends it with break-neck speed of high-octane race titles to create a radically new kind of action experience. Players will blast through a secretive tournament known only as The Club, where the world’s rich and powerful watch merciless fighters test their skills. While highly trained and effectively brutal, most combatants find themselves forced to participate. The posse of urban warriors represents a variety of countries and backgrounds. They share almost nothing in common except for participating in the ultimate blood sport where the only reward is survival.
Players will choose between eight unique fighters, each with their own combat style and agendas, as they travel the globe in a series of visceral underground matches. In addition to a variety of single-player scenarios, The Club boasts an array of multiplayer options to satisfy even the most discerning action aficionado.
The Club mixes the best elements from action shooters with arcade accessibility, the pace of racing games and a story structure based on fighting games. Players will choose from a selection of characters to fight in a shadowy underground blood-sport controlled by a faceless, obscenely wealthy and influential elite – The Club. Each character has their own reason for risking their life to “beat” The Club. Some are driven by greed, some are driven by a higher purpose, and some are driven by pure insane bloodlust.
Countless rumours persist about the origins of The Club, but few facts are known. Many members like to believe that its beginnings can be traced back to the infamous Hellfire Club of 18th century London, others believe it originated during the Napoleonic Wars, whilst some declare that the four signatories of the US Declaration of Independence were founder members of an early incarnation of The Club, using African slaves as the source of cheap fodder for the tournament battles.
Rumours also exist about the spread of The Club with fingers pointing to South American branches said to have been set up by an influx of German immigrants in the aftermath of World War Two.
Drug lords. Mob bosses. Dotcom billionaires. Rock stars. Presidents. International arms dealers. World leaders. Dictators. Media Tycoons. Ultra-rich Russian oligarch neo-capitalists. Hollywood superstars. Third World warlords. CEOs of multinational giants. Aristocrats and royalty. They all rub shoulders in The Club, the most exclusive and secretive organisation in the world, sharing a taste for blood and a belief that their wealth and power places them above and beyond the reach of normal laws. The entry fee is astronomical, and membership is for life; once you’re in The Club, you can’t leave.
The internet and advances in global communications have revolutionised the business of The Club. In a previous era, members had to gather in secret at the arena locations to witness the combats in person. Now, making use of communications technology – private communications satellites, ultra-secret internet domains and live links hidden behind any number of hacker-proof firewalls – owned by various senior Club figures, members can watch the action from any number of secure clubhouses dotted around the world, or even from the comfort of their own homes or private yachts, jets etc. Gambling is the main activity of The Club and the organisation takes a cut of all the betting action to cover the substantial costs incurred in running these tournaments at all their various locations across the world.
The activities of The Club are controlled and overseen by The Board of Trustees, whose identities are all closely-guarded secrets. The ‘public’ face of The Board is the MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY, a Club employee who relays all The Board’s decisions to the rest of the organisation.
At its heart The Club is about competition and proving you’re the best. Be that taking a character through their single player story and “beating” The Club, measuring your scores and times on online leader-boards or defeating your opposition via split-screen or online play.
- Each character in The Club flaunts a distinct style and background. Whether forced to participate or satisfying a simple bloodlust, each fighter brings something different to the roster.
- Choose one of eight highly-trained fighters and blast through over 40 single-player levels. Choose from a variety of game modes and challenges, including: Time Attack, Survive, Siege and Run the Gauntlet.Compete in over eight lethal multiplayer modes, where the most battle-hardened fighters rule the leader boards. Local play offers four-player splitscreen.
- Battle through eight distinct locations around the globe, including: war-torn cities, abandoned factories, steel mills and many more.
- Advanced camera system intensifies the adrenaline rush through cinematic close-range and long-distance encounters. Players can also destroy and modify the environment to their advantage.
- An exclusive score-based accumulation system creates rabid competition among players – high scores lead to new weapons, characters and maps.
- The Club benefits from 17 high-powered assault weapons, including Sniper Rifles, High Caliber Pistols, Sub Machine Guns, Mounted Weapons, Automatic Weapons and more.
The Club will ship in North America in February 2008 for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.
More articles about The Club