The ceremony, produced and hosted by the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and presented by the International Game Developers Association (IGDA), is the only peer-based, open nomination awards program in the industry where honors are bestowed to developers by developers. Recipients were announced tonight at the 2007 Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco.
"A Game Developers Choice Award is like no other award presented in our industry, as it is the only prize that gives the community the chance to appreciate and honor individual developers," said Jamil Moledina, Executive Director of the Game Developers Conference. "By celebrating our visionaries by name, we give the audience and the public at large a chance to give credit where credit is due."
Nominations were free of charge and open to all IGDA members, ensuring that the nominees reflect the international development community's opinions. The IGDA membership voted on the finalists.
The recipients for the 7th annual Game Developers Choice Awards are:
- Best Game: Gears of War (Epic Games / Microsoft Game Studios) - Cliff Bleszinski, Michael Capps, Rod Fergusson
- Audio: Guitar Hero II (Harmonix Music Systems / RedOctane) - Jeff Allen, Eric Brosius, Izzy Maxwell
- Character Design: Okami (Clover Studio / Capcom Entertainment) - Mari Shimazaki, Sawaki Takeyasu, Kenichirou Yoshimura
- Game Design: Wii Sports (Nintendo) - Keizo Ohta, Takayuki Shimamura, Yoshiaki Yamashita
- Technology: Gears of War (Epic Games / Microsoft Game Studios) - Michael Capps, Ray Davis, Tim Sweeney, Daniel Vogel
- Visual Arts: Gears of War (Epic Games / Microsoft Game Studios) - Jerry O'Flaherty, Chris Perna
- Writing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo EAD / Nintendo) - Kyogoku Aya, Nate Bihldorff, Mitsuhiro Takano
- New Studio: Iron Lore Entertainment (Titan Quest) - Paul Chieffo, Jeff Goodsill, Brian Sullivan
- Line Rider - Bostjan Cadez
- Okami (Clover Studio / Capcom Entertainment) - Atsushi Inaba, Hideki Kamiya
- Wii Sports (Nintendo) - Keizo Ohta, Takayuki Shimamura, Yoshiaki Yamashita
Recipients for the evening's special awards were:
- Lifetime Achievement: Shigeru Miyamoto
- First Penguin: Alexey Pajitnov
- Maverick: Greg Costikyan
- Community Contribution: George "The Fat Man" Sanger
"Once again, the Game Developers Choice Awards have shown that gaming greatness can be found within every type of game -- from the most hardcore of experiences, to those that have brought all new audiences into our industry's fan base," said Jason Della Rocca, Executive Director, IGDA. "Each year, I am humbled by what our members can do with this great art form."
For more information about the awards and all the recipients, please visit: http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/