World in Conflict represents the next-generation of strategy games, pitting Cold War-era superpowers against one another with completely destructible 3D battlefields, blistering visuals, and a narrowed gameplay focus that removes traditional resource-gathering and base-building in favor of non-stop combat, tactical decisions and an FPS-like addiction to intense action.
World in Conflict presents a chillingly authentic Cold War scenario where the Berlin Wall never fell. Created by Cold War authority and best-selling author Larry Bond, the story begins in 1989 as the Soviets, fearing certain collapse, boldly advance into Europe. NATO responds in force only to be met on a second front -- a full-fledged invasion of the American homeland. Players take on the role of field commander, leading the era's most powerful military machines in the campaign to retake America's cities and suburbs.
“The World in Conflict Collector’s Edition offers gamers the chance to grab a piece of history – an authentic piece of the Berlin Wall, a monument that once divided the Cold War superpowers right through the heart of Europe,” said Al Simone, senior vice president of global marketing, Sierra Entertainment. “In World in Conflict, the Berlin Wall isn’t dismantled in the name of global peace, it is obliterated by the collateral damage of the opening salvos of World War III. We are excited to offer gamers this exclusive opportunity to get the amazing added content in the Collector’s Edition version.”
The World in Conflict Collector’s Edition will include:
- Authentic Piece of the Berlin Wall: An authentic piece of Cold War history, taken directly from remnants of the famed Berlin Wall that once divided Europe along the lines of Superpower control.
- “Modern Marvels©: The Berlin Wall” by The History Channel®: Learn the definitive tale of one of the most hated symbols of oppression in history and hear stories of those who braved the deadly No Man's Land between East and West.
- Behind the Scenes Videos – Explore the making of World in Conflict through extensive behind the scenes videos, showing development secrets, gameplay tips and more.
- Limited Edition Collector’s Packaging: The Cold War battle rages on the collectible World in Conflict packaging featuring Soviet and American flags.
The game is being developed for Xbox 360 by Sierra’s own Swordfish Studios, in conjunction with Massive Entertainment, also a Sierra-owned studio, to optimise gameplay for the Xbox 360 controller
and implement a new heads-up-display (HUD) that is more functional and appealing for console gamers.
- Unleash the arsenals of the great military superpowers in the gripping single-player story created by Larry Bond
- The latest version of Massive's proprietary Masstech engine allows for a full 360 degree range of camera control and features advanced lighting and physics effects
- As the battle rages, the world environment pays the price -- every object in the game will crumble under the force of war, including cars, buildings and forests
- Using Massive's proprietary Massgate multiplayer server system, World in Conflict will support up to 16 players for head-to-head and team-based battles
- Players will take control of the most devastating arsenal of military weaponry ever created, including Soviet, American and NATO tanks, planes, trucks, troops and helicopters as well as nuclear weapons
- Players will choose to play as Infantry, Armor, Support Forces, or Aerial specialists; multiplayer teams will need to master each role for maximum effectiveness
World in Conflict is scheduled for September on PC, and later this fall on Xbox 360.