Designed specifically to entertain both casual and hardcore gamers with its deep immersion, five to fifteen minute play sessions and turn-based play style, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords incorporates strategy, role-playing elements and a persistent storyline in a puzzle board setting. Set in the Warlords universe, the game challenges players to create, develop and customize the ultimate hero in order to save the land of Etheria from evil Lord Bane. To advance their character, players battle in turn-based, head-to-head "match-three" style puzzle games in one of three distinct gameplay modes: Single-player allows gamers to battle against the AI as they embark on over 150 challenging quests, Instant Action allows gamers to jump in and immediately play continuous battles to level-up characters without participating in quests, and Multiplayer allows gamers to battle live opponents. Victory will advance the player's hero, magical arsenal, creature companions and more--ultimately rewarding gamers at nearly every turn and providing endless hours of replayability.
"The lightning quick acceptance and praise we received from fans and press for the fun, deeply immersive gaming experience we created by mixing RPG elements with puzzle gameplay were a dream come true when Puzzle Quest launched," said Steve Fawkner, lead designer and chief executive officer of Infinite Interactive Pty. Ltd., creators of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. "The gaming community has offered such warm support and we are elated to open the game up to more fans by offering new ways to play."
D3PA's recently acquired development studio, Vicious Cycle Software, co-developer of Puzzle Quest for the PSP system, will develop Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords for PlayStation 2 and Wii consoles, while the PC and mobile publishing and distribution rights were awarded by the publisher to THQ Inc.'s ValuSoft and THQ Wireless divisions.
"It has been tremendously exciting for us to see Puzzle Quest find such a wide-ranging audience," said Yoji Takenaka, executive vice president and chief operating officer, D3PA. "We look forward to growing the fanbase even further through what we are confident will be successful relationships with such highly regarded allies as Infinite Interactive, THQ and Vicious Cycle."
- Strategy and role-playing elements that function harmoniously in the puzzle gameboard setting offer a refreshing twist on classic puzzle gameplay, fostering an exceptional depth of investment and enjoyment.
- Competitive, turn-based gameplay encourages you to plan, think and strategize against opponents instead of just react like most traditional puzzle games; game difficulty and progression are related to outsmarting your enemies as opposed to difficulty increasing solely through level progression.
- If you experience defeat, you are still awarded experience points as well as partial gold and then encouraged to try again; this allows constant progression and avoids any feelings that invested play time is wasted.
- At every turn, you will acquire helpful companions, collect or cast powerful magic spells, gather informational “rumours,” and obtain items like weapons, armour and money to advance your hero.
- Play in long or short doses since the depth of the game does not waver according to the length of a gameplay session; each battle ranges from 3-10 minutes.
- Choose from two male and two female avatars in each of the four character classes—Druid, Knight, Warrior and Wizard—to create, develop and customise your ultimate hero.
- Build an empire as you capture cities, build castles and gain a party of companions that will aid you in battle.
- Three Distinct Gameplay Modes Offer Unparalleled Replayability
- Single-player: Battle against the computer AI as you embark on more than 150 challenging quests
- Instant Action: Jump in and immediately play continuous battles to level up your character without participating in quests
- Multiplayer: Battle live opponents via wireless connectivity on both the PSP and the NDS.
Currently available on NDS/PSP, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, rated "E 10+," is slated to release on Wii, PS2 and PC fall 2008.