Customization is one new feature: you can now personalize the wallpaper on your XMB with a photo. This was one of the top three requests we received via the blog’s contact form. When viewing a photo, simply bring up the options screen by pressing the triangle button and selecting “set as wallpaper” from the options displayed. Additionally, you can now change the order of the games displayed under the game icon on the XMB.
Another new feature focuses on added communication elements: When you’re sending messages to friends on PLAYSTATION Network, you can now use emoticons. We’ve added a bunch of emoticons that can be easily accessed from the virtual keyboard. Also, another cool addition is, when an avatar is displayed during voice/video chat, the avatar will move in response to audio.
Finally, on the more technical side, you can now play AVCHD videos saved on a Memory Stick or digital video camera, and we’ve added the ability to upscale audio CD output from your PS3. Now, there are two requirements for this feature: the device you’re outputting to must support a sampling frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz, and your PS3 must be connected to that device with an HDMI cable or digital optical cable.
Oh, and one more thing: you can now eject discs using your controller by selecting “Eject Disc” in the options menu after you push the PS button.
Several other minor options will be included in 1.90 including a few new display options that will allow you to adjust your display while playing PlayStation, PlayStation2 and Blu-ray movies. More info on these options as well as detailed info on the rest of the 1.90 additions will be available later this week. We’ll update this post with a link to that info when it’s available.
Main features that are new or revised in version 1.90:
- * Customizing Wallpaper (Theme Settings): You can now display an image as the background of XMB(XrossMediaBar).
- * Using Emoticons: You can now use emoticons when creating messages under [Friends].
- * Entering text in the browser: You can now enter text directly into text entry fields of Web pages using a USB keyboard.
- * Upsampling audio CD output: Upsampled output of audio CDs is now supported.
Other new revised features in version 1.90
- [Eject Disc] has been added as an option in the options menu for discs.
- You can now select [Group Content] when changing a file or folder icon.
- [On] has been added as an option in [BD 1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI)] under [BD/DVD Settings].
- [44.1 kHz / 88.2 kHz / 176.4 kHz] has been added as an option in [Audio CD Output Frequency] under [Music Settings].
- [Type 2] has been added as an option in [Bitmapping] under [Music Settings].
- The [Image Quality Adjustment] option in the control panel has been changed to [AV Settings].
- You can now play AVCHD-format video files that are saved on Memory Stick™ media or on the hard disk of a digital video camera.
- You can now adjust screen display settings while playing PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software.
- You can now sort games that are saved on the hard disk.
- You can now operate the (Slow (Back)) and (Frame Reverse) functions when playing video files saved on storage media or on the hard disk.
- [Add to Bookmarks] has been added as an option in the [File] menu of the Internet browser.
- When an avatar is displayed during a voice / video chat, the avatar now moves in response to audio.
PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.90 firmware from 24th July 2007.
More articles about PlayStation 3