At 07:53 on the morning of 1941 - 65 years ago to this very date - the Empire of Japan attacked the United States of America's military base on Pearl Harbor with an assault force of 354 aircraft. American aircraft losses were estimated at 188 destroyed and 159 damaged. Overall losses for the Japanese were 9 fighters, 15 dive bombers and 5 torpedo bombers. This fateful day marked the beginning of one of mankind's most notorious struggles, pitting the USA against the Empire of Japan.
In Attack on Pearl Harbor, players can sign up for either side as they are offered the role of daring US gunner turned pilot Douglas Knox or Japanese ace Zenji Yamada. History's yours to shape: Either nation can win the war depending on your actions as players battle for supremacy behind the cockpits of some of the most prolific fighters, bombers and torpedo-bearing aircraft of the WWII Pacific Theater. Playable planes include Japan's Mitsubishi A6M “Zero”, the D3A1 Aichi “Val” and the B5N Nakajima “Kate” as well as America's Chance Vought F4U Corsair, the Douglas SBD Dauntless and the Grumman TBM Avenger.
Attack on Pearl Harbor features four campaigns, plus a “quick play” dogfight game mode. In addition to the initial Japanese attack on Hawaii, the game also offers a host of famed and challenging scenarios such as the Battle of Midway, Iwo Jima, Burma and Manila. Each campaign spans several months during 1941-1945, offering an exciting and varied selection of missions each 30-day period.
- Pick up and play the game via a simple, straightforward control scheme that'll have anyone flying in seconds.
- Widescreen gaming support coupled with dazzling special effects provides a beautifully rendered backdrop of the Pacific.
- Play as the dashing Douglas Knox of the USAAF or fighter pilot Zenji Yamada of the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service.
- Take off from the deck of an aircraft carrier in the most prolific fighters, bombers and torpedo-bearing aircraft of the WWII Pacific Theatre!
- Fight the selfsame battles that determined the outcome of the war, from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima!
- The campaign is advanced through graphic novel- inspired animation panels which bring an exciting and refreshing feel to the game.
Attack on Pearl Harbor is set to ship to North American retail during the first week of August.
More articles about Attack on Pearl Harbor