The game is being developed for Xbox 360 by Sierra’s own Swordfish Studios, in conjunction with Massive Entertainment, also a Sierra-owned studio, to optimise gameplay for the Xbox 360 controller
and implement a new heads-up-display (HUD) that is more functional and appealing for console gamers.
World in Conflict represents the next-generation of strategy games, pitting Cold War-era superpowers against one another with completely destructible 3D battlefields, blistering visuals, and a narrowed gameplay focus that removes traditional resource-gathering and base-building in favor of non-stop combat, tactical decisions and an FPS-like addiction to intense action.
World in Conflict presents a chillingly authentic Cold War scenario where the Berlin Wall never fell. Created by Cold War authority and best-selling author Larry Bond, the story begins in 1989 as the Soviets, fearing certain collapse, boldly advance into Europe. NATO responds in force only to be met on a second front -- a full-fledged invasion of the American homeland. Players take on the role of field commander, leading the era's most powerful military machines in the campaign to retake America's cities and suburbs.
Best Buy is holding an exclusive pre-launch tournament for World in Conflict which will be held in San Francisco and feature some pretty nice prizes, including a new high-end PC, NVIDIA graphics cards, Best Buy gift certificates, the popular WiC CCCP track jackets worn by the team and more. Details below:
Saturday, August 11, 2007, 11:00am to 5:00pm
Best Buy Store
1717 Harrison St
San Francisco, CA 94103
- Velocity Micro ProMagix E2230 PC (1)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GPS Graphic Cards (4)
- $500 Best Buy Gift Card (4)
- And, much more
For more details, the official rules and to sign up to participate in the tournament, please visit http://promos.vugames.com/wicbestbuy
- Unleash the arsenals of the great military superpowers in the gripping single-player story created by Larry Bond
- The latest version of Massive's proprietary Masstech engine allows for a full 360 degree range of camera control and features advanced lighting and physics effects
- As the battle rages, the world environment pays the price -- every object in the game will crumble under the force of war, including cars, buildings and forests
- Using Massive's proprietary Massgate multiplayer server system, World in Conflict will support up to 16 players for head-to-head and team-based battles
- Players will take control of the most devastating arsenal of military weaponry ever created, including Soviet, American and NATO tanks, planes, trucks, troops and helicopters as well as nuclear weapons
- Players will choose to play as Infantry, Armor, Support Forces, or Aerial specialists; multiplayer teams will need to master each role for maximum effectiveness
World in Conflict will be available at retail stores across North America on September 18, in Europe September 21st, and later this fall on Xbox 360.
More articles about World in Conflict