The project is currently in development at Midway's Chicago studio by the PSI-OPS: The Mindgate Conspiracy team, led by industry veteran Brian Eddy. Stranglehold, will bring John Woo's famous use of hyperkinetic, choreographed action and freeze framed sequences to the video game arena and will also feature the likeness and voice talent of international action film star, Chow Yun-Fat, (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hard Boiled, Bulletproof Monk) in his video game debut. Having worked together for several feature films, the dynamic duo, Yun-Fat and Woo, are teaming up once again, but this time bringing their expertise to the world of interactive entertainment.
A "spiritual sequel" to Woo's action masterpiece, "Hard Boiled," Stranglehold redefines the action gaming experience with its acrobatic gunplay, thrilling cinematography, frenetic combat and incredible Massive Destructibility (Massive D). Chow Yun-Fat reprises his signature role as Inspector Tequila, pitting gamers as a take no-prisoners cop waging a personal war with Hong Kong crime lords. Tequila's loyalties to the force are tested when his ex-wife is kidnapped by the Russian mob in Chicago. Tequila struggles to balance his duty to uphold the law with doing what it takes to save his family.
Top talent such as Arnold Vosloo (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Blood Diamond ), along with Randall Duk Kim (Memoirs of a Geisha, Enter the Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded) join Chow Yun-Fat in the upcoming action-packed adventure video game. Additional talent includes, Grant George, David Lodge, Lydia Look, Neil Kaplan, Stephanie Sheh, Michael Sorich, Russell Wong, Danny Bernardo, Jin Kim, Phuoc Nguyen, Andrew Lee, Joseph Yau, Philip Chan, Ronal A. Cheng and Alexander Brandon.
- Stranglehold allows gamers to play a John Woodirected action blockbuster movie. Dual-wielding, stunt-laden gunplay combined with massive destructible environments ensures that Stranglehold will be a true tour-de-force. The environmental interactivity and two-fisted gunplay all come online, bringing the experience to a whole new level.
- Gamers will experience smooth flowing gameplay, such as running up railings, swinging on chandeliers and leaping onto moving objects, all without interrupting intense gun battles.
- Featuring the cinematic flare of acclaimed action director John Woo, Stranglehold will also benefit from Woo's direction on storyline, camera placement and cutscenes. Starring international action-star Chow Yun-Fat as Inspector Tequila, the game's cast is also comprised of other A-list Hollywood talent.
- The innovative physics engine will provide gamers with an unprecedented level of interactivity. With two huge areas to explore (Chicago and Hong Kong), the interactions will be infinite with each level offering massive amounts of destructibility.
- Stranglehold's unique Tequila Time slow-motion system goes well beyond the slow-motion gameplay that typifies so many current action games and allows players to simultaneously aim and shoot at targets with a greater degree of focus. In a case of art imitating art, John Woo is the master and originator of this style of gunplay action and it's taken to a new level in Stranglehold.
- Using a highly modified version of the Unreal 3.0 engine integrated with the Havok physics system, Stranglehold will breath new life into game envinronments and characters with stunning graphics. Incredible "Rock'n Roll" physics make it possible for everything in the world to be destructible and interactive, allowing for an ever changing battle ground depending on how players approach different situations.
Stranglehold is currently scheduled to ship in North America on September 5th for Xbox 360, September 18th for PC and September 25th for PS3. and slated to ship in Europe on September 14th for Xbox 360, September 21st for PC and October for PS3.
More articles about Stranglehold