Rail Simulator is the next step in railway simulation. It allows the player to take on the role of a train driver and guide a number of contemporary and historical trains through several meticulously recreated routes in the UK and Germany.
The player is made responsible for everything involved in getting an electric, diesel or steam train started and to keep it rolling; from observing the track signals and keeping within the speed limits, to keeping an eye on the steam pressure and making sure to remain on track through treacherous winding routes.
The game offers unprecedented graphics and attention to detail for the genre, with the trains realistically modeled down to individual, fully functional, gauges, buttons and levers. Rail Simulator also incorporates a full physics simulation, as well as having accurate signaling systems throughout all the routes.
Players can create new routes through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor, and exchange them online with other players. Recreate your local commute or create new routes from scratch, with a point-and-click editor and a huge amount of adjustable in-game assets.
- The most realistic train driving simulation ever
- Travel over 1900km of track on four faithfully reproduced UK and continental routes
- Choose between eight accurately modeled modern and historical locomotives - electric, diesel and steam-powered
- A powerful world and track editor – create new routes and content and exchange them with other players online.
- Learn to drive different kinds of trains; using fully functional controls, levers and gauges
- Varying driving modes, from Easy to Simulation difficulty
- An outstanding physics engine that provide new levels of realism to the simulation
- Third-party expansion packs will add new routes and content throughout the game’s lifetime, significantly expanding on the core offering
- Access historical and technical information on routes and trains as you drive
In 2001 Kuju created Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS), the game that launched the railway simulation genre and which sold over 900,000 copies world-wide. Based on this, the studio has a very strong following amongst the core train sim fan base, and Rail Simulator is the most anticipated game coming out in the category in 2007.
More articles about Rail Simulator