From the ashes of an ancient conflict, a cosmic war threatens all sentient beings with extinction. As the alien Benefactors and Bane amass their forces for the final battle, the galaxy’s last free sentient beings are the thin line between life and death, between good and evil.
Explore lush forest planets, volcanic moons, and exotic alien civilizations. Face off against powerful xenophobe soldiers, armored mechanoids, and vicious predators! Use a wide range of weapons and unique magical alien powers to help the Allied Free Sentients (AFS) in their desperate fight against extinction. Tabula Rasa combines a vast, persistent game world and ongoing storyline with fast-paced action, resulting in a striking new approach to the design of multiplayer online games.
Welcome to the AFS Soldier. It’s about time you started thinking about your military career. Yeah sure, you have a lot of training ahead of you, and you can always start a new path if your career isn’t exactly shaping up the way you wanted it to. But the AFS needs well trained soldiers, so it’s never too early to look into what division you’re going to be aiming for. That being said, here are some of the career choices that will be available to you in the AFS.
Ranger Class, Spy Division
This expert of subterfuge excels in moving into enemy territory undetected, and wreaking havoc through deception and misdirection. While still an expert with a gun, this class specializes in the stealthy aspects of war. Any soldier who wants to learn how to move unseen, how to gather vital enemy information, as well as how to silently eliminate threats should look to train as a Spy.
The Spy uses weapons and abilities that rely heavily on LOGOS power to help deceive, misdirect, influence or avoid enemies. The spy prefers sneaking in sight unseen to achieve their goals rather than taking the direct approach.
You will begin your training as a soldier, and advance to the rank of Ranger before being accepted into the Spy Division. Some of the LOGOS abilities you will learn as a Spy are:
- Polymorph: In order to infiltrate sensitive locations, a Spy will learn the art of disguise. Using the power of LOGOS, you will be able to take on the appearance of an enemy unit and will be seen as “friendly” by enemy forces.
- Traitor: A Spy is also trained to turn an enemy against his own allies through LOGOS. This obviously creates a certain amount of chaos, as the enemy forces shift their attention to eliminating the "traitor."
- Cloak Wave: This is a Spy’s Signature Ability. You will learn to harness LOGOS powers to set up a zone at you’re location that will grant any allies within the zone a 75% Stealth bonus.
A spy has a variety of specialized weapons at his disposal. You will receive specialized training in Chain Guns and Net Guns. Due to the importance of silent infiltration, you will also be trained to use an AFS Filament Blade, giving you the ability to sneak up behind your enemies and take them out efficiently and quietly, as well as allowing you to defend yourself in the unlikely chance you are discovered.
Ranger Class, Sniper Division
This military marksman is master of the Torque Shell Guns, long range warfare, and striking from cover. Delivering devastating surprise attacks on hostiles, these weapon experts are the scourge of the enemy. Any soldier looking forward to picking off as many enemies as possible before openly engaging them in combat should seek out training as a Sniper.
The Sniper uses LOGOS powers to fire at long range and from concealed locations. Snipers thrive as the phantom killer on the battlefield, secretly delivering deadly attacks to influence the course of battle in their favor.
You will start your training as a soldier and advance to the rank of Ranger before the Sniper Division will accept you. Some of the LOGOS abilities you will learn as a Sniper are:
- Called Shot: This LOGOS ability allows the Sniper to target a particular body part on a humanoid opponent. Advanced training allows the Sniper to more accurately target additional body parts, each delivering different types of damage depending on the type of called shot used.
- Shredder Rounds: A Sniper is able to coat their current weapon magazine with a substance that adds damage to each shot. Though it only works on rifles, pistols, and Torque shell guns, the damage inflicted by these specialized rounds can be very substantial.
- Crit Wave: This is a Sniper’s Signature Ability. You will learn to set up a 25m zone around your location that does not move with you, but can encompass an entire squad. The aim of all allies within the zone is increased so they have a greater chance to critically hit their target.
In order to best prepare for deployment as a Sniper, you will receive training in multiple weapons including Chain Guns and Net Guns. Because much of your attacks on the enemy will be from a distance, you will also receive specialized training in the use of AFS Torque Shell Guns, which fire self-propelled rounds that are capable of delivering substantial damage at great distances as they accelerate and build up kinetic energy. These specialized guns are also highly accurate and quiet, eliminating loud shots that could give away a Sniper’s position.
- Richard Garriott’s Signature Creative Vision – Features a rich storyline with culminating experiences, immersive tactile environments and a persistent plot.
- Mystical “Logos” Language & Powers – Alien mystical language and powers allow players to harness the very fabric of the cosmos for heals, attacks and more!
- Ethical Parables – Players encounter ethical decisions while attempting to complete goals or missions that affect the people and environments around them.
- Brings Role-playing to the Battlefield – Fast-paced action involving skill, stealth and strategy combines with character growth and development (RPG) on a massive multiplayer scale (MMO).
- Battlefield Control Points – Entrenched positions on a given battlefield can change hands over the course of a battle and affect spawn points of both enemy and friendly characters.
- Character Cloning System – Explore different character paths without having to start from scratch.
- Crafting & Economy – Players will participate in crafting and selling items
- Player-vs-Player – Clans declare war on other clans, enabling voluntary PvP gameplay.
The standard edition box of Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa will be available at major online retailers at an expected retail price of $49.99 and at the PlayNC store. Customers will be able to purchase the recently announced Limited Collector’s Edition box from major retailers at an expected retail price of $69.99. Both products include the first month of online game play. After the first month, players will be charged a monthly subscription fee of US$14.99. Sixty-day game time cards will also be available at many North American retailers for an expected retail price of US$29.99. The game is rated Teen by the Entertainment Software Rating Board.
Tabula Rasa, rated T (Teen), will launch in North America and Europe on October 19, 2007.
More articles about Tabula Rasa