Developed by Harmonix, Rock Band is an all-new platform for gamers to experience music, giving players the chance to rock in the shoes of the biggest guitarists, bassists, drummers and singers of all time – as a solo superstar or as part of a hard rocking band.
Rock Band delivers four music games in one – challenging rockers to master lead/bass guitar, drums and vocals or play collectively as a whole band. Built on unprecedented deals with top record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band spans all genres of rock and includes many master recordings from legendary artists.
Major record labels and leading music publishers have signed on to provide unrivaled access to master recordings and legendary rock artists with hits from the '70s, '80s, '90s and 2000s. Record labels partnering with MTV Games and Harmonix include EMI Music, Hollywood Records, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group's Universal Music Enterprises and Warner Music Group's Rhino Entertainment. Music publishers partnering with MTV Games and Harmonix include EMI Music Publishing and Warner/Chappel Music.
First 34 Officially Announced Rock Band songs :
- The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
- Mountain, "Mississippi Queen" (cover recording)
- David Bowie, "Suffragette City"
- Black Sabbath, "Paranoid" (cover recording)
- Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear the Reaper"
- The Ramones, "Blitzkrieg Bop"
- Deep Purple, "Highway Star"
- Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter"
- KISS, "Detroit Rock City"
- Rush, "Tom Sawyer" (cover recording)
- Bon Jovi, "Wanted Dead or Alive"
- The Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
- Faith No More, "Epic"
- Pixies, "Wave of Mutilation"
- Foo Fighters, "Learn to Fly"
- Metallica, "Enter Sandman"
- Nirvana, "In Bloom"
- Stone Temple Pilots, "Vasoline"
- Weezer, "Say It Ain't So"
- Smashing Pumpkins, "Cherub Rock"
- Radiohead, "Creep"
- Beastie Boys, "Sabotage"
- Hole, "Celebrity Skin"
- Garbage, "I Think I'm Paranoid"
- Soundgarden, "Black Hole Sun"
- The Hives, "Main Offender"
- Queens of the Stone Age, "Go With the Flow"
- The Strokes, "Reptilia"
- Jet, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
- OK Go, "Here It Goes Again"
- Nine Inch Nails, "The Hand That Feeds"
- Freezepop, "Brain Power"
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Maps"
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California"
In addition, budding musicians can choose to participate in a "Rock Off" audition for an opportunity to appear on MTV's TRL. Two selected bands will participate in a live "Battle of the Bands," with the top group being asked to open for one of rock's biggest bands at the Rock Band launch concert this Holiday 2007.
"We're a couple months away from the launch of Rock Band and the response has already been incredible," said Jeff Yapp, EVP, MTV Program Enterprises. "We simply couldn't wait any longer to get the game into consumers' hands and give them a taste of the power of the Rock Band experience. This tour will give everyone from casual music fans, to hard core gamers and professional musicians the chance to live out their rock star fantasies on an authentic concert stage and the chance to audition for a once in a lifetime opportunity to fulfill their rock star fantasies live on MTV in front of thousands of fans."
Kicking off on Sunday, September 9th in Las Vegas, NV during the "2007 MTV Video Music Awards" Weekend, Rock Band outfitted tour rigs will spread across the country on a 24 city tour – from California to Cleveland, Atlanta to Arizona and everywhere in between – to give music fans the chance to play on a full concert style stage with all of the lights and monster sound systems they're used to seeing at a classic arena rock concert. Whether consumers are instrument experts or gear rookies, everyone will get a chance to rock with Rock Band.
And it doesn't stop there. Aspiring rockers will have the chance to participate in a nationwide casting call through MTV's Rock Band "Rock Off" events. All performers brave enough to play on the Rock Band tour bus main-stage will be captured on video and viewed by MTV casting directors. Two bands will be chosen and flown to New York City to spend a day with a real rock band and receive true rock star training. The auditions will culminate with the bands rocking on-air on MTV's TRL, and one band ultimately chosen to open on a real stage for a yet-to-be-named mega band at the Rock Band launch concert.
The Rock Band tour rigs will travel to local college campuses and other locations around the country including:
- Las Vegas, NV September 9 – 16, 2007
- Milwaukee, WI September 13 – 16, 2007
- Sacramento, CA September 20 – 23, 2007
- Columbus, OH September 20 – 23, 2007
- Seattle, WA September 27 – 30, 2007
- Chicago, IL September 27 – 30, 2007
- Portland, OR October 4 – 7, 2007
- Pittsburgh, PA October 4 – 7, 2007
- Oakland, CA October 11 – 14, 2007
- Cleveland, OH October 11 – 14, 2007
- San Francisco, CA October 17 – 21, 2007
- Philadelphia, PA October 18 – 21, 2007
- San Diego, CA October 25 – 28, 2007
- Baltimore, MD October 25 – 28, 2007
- Los Angeles, CA October 31 – November 18, 2007
- New York, NY November 1 – 4, 2007
- Boston, MA November 8 – 11, 2007
- New Jersey November 15 – 18, 2007
- Phoenix, AZ November 27 – 30, 2007
- Atlanta, GA November 27 – December 2, 2007
- Austin, TX December 6 – 9, 2007
- New Orleans, LA December 6 – 9, 2007
- Dallas, TX December 13 – 16, 2007
- Orlando, FL December 13 – 16, 2007
Specific locations for each city will be released separately. In addition, fans can visit http://www.rockband.com/tour beginning September 9th for more information on dates, locations and Rock Band news.
Venue Locations :
- Boston (confirmed: Charles Pub/Somerville, The Establishment/Cambridge and Hancock Theatre)
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Rio de Janeiro
- San Francisco
- Master the basics! No need for experience. Pick your weapon of choice and ascend from beginner to rock god using Rock Band's Tutorial Mode.
- Perfect your tune! Breakdown any part of any song at your preferred speed with Rock Band's Practice Mode.
- Instant fix of fun! Jump into any unlocked song for some quick jam time either on your own or with other players with Rock Band's Quickplay Mode. Take it on the road! Pack up your instrument of choice and set out on the open road for a fun and challenging single player career mode with Rock Band's Solo Tour Mode.
- Conquer the world! Live the ultimate rock band lifestyle when you form a band locally or online and set out on tour. The journey to rock stardom takes you from small town bars to world-renowned venues. Earn fame and fortune along the way to secure rock star necessities with Rock Band's Band World Tour Mode.
- Unrivaled song library! Major record labels and leading music publishers have signed on to provide unrivaled access to master recordings and legendary rock artists – from punk, metal and alternative to classic and southern rock.
- Rock ‘n' Roll Never Dies! Full support for downloadable content delivers never-ending challenges.
- Play together in your living room or across the world! Rock Band™ offers deep online functionality, allowing players to rock together whether they're in Rhode Island or Reykjavik.
- Create your own rock avatar! Mold a unique rocker using Rock Band's character creator. Chose from gender, body shape, face, hair, clothes, tattoos and signature moves. Don't forget to pick your specialized rockin' instrument. Drumming in the spotlight! Showcase a real drum solo with Rock Band's freestyle drum fill windows featured in each song. Break out your own rhythm and style as anything goes!
- Call out the crowd! Vocalists can bring the crowd to their feet during Rock Band's freestyle vocal fill windows. Ad-lib your own words or shout to the crowd to raise the rock intensity of the performance.
- Save your mates! Band mates can fail out of a song for poor performance, but the band still plays on. Rescue your failing mate by busting out signature moves and blistering solos to wow the crowd with showmanship.
- Boost your bonus! Earn bonus points for your band during Rock Band's Unison Phrase opportunities if everyone plays perfectly. A single mistake blows the phrase for everyone.
While a price is not set yet, the game is scheduled for Holiday 2007 and will be released on PS3 and Xbox 360.
More articles about Rock Band