The video game is an extension of the popular Highlander movie and TV series that tells the tale of an Immortal swordsman, Owen MacLeod. Written by David Abramowitz, the Highlander TV series' writer and show runner, Highlander takes MacLeod on a journey across multiple lands from first century fiery Pompeii, to futuristic New York to discover his destiny and explore the powers of immortality.
Owen MacLeod, born in Gaul over 2000 years ago, was the son of a tribal chieftain whose village was crushed by the Roman Empire. MacLeod was sent in chains to the gladiatorial arena in Pompeii where he faced what he imagined to be a short life of battle. However, it was in the Coliseum where he was killed, only to miraculously recover and begin a new life as an Immortal. Fighting through centuries against other Immortals in legendary battles ending in death by beheading, MacLeod now faces a mysterious and almost all-powerful Immortal who is hunting him down in New York City. With his mentor, Methos, guiding him, MacLeod learns that the only way to destroy this ultimate nemesis, is to search out the three fragments of a mysterious stone that when pieced together, yields unlimited power to the Immortal who possesses it.
Moving through the centuries you have fought to survive against other Immortals in legendary battles where death comes only by beheading.
Now, a mysterious figure has unleashed a series of attacks on New York, intent on tracking down MacLeod. Owen soon learns that his only chance to defeat this mysterious figure, and thus save his own head, lies in reuniting the three fragments of a mysterious stone that, when whole, is reputed to bring unlimited power to the Immortal that possesses it. Sensing that his destiny is closely linked to this ancient artifact, MacLeod must sift through his memories, plunging him into three key periods of his past, and leading him inevitably toward his ultimate destiny: one final battle against his greatest enemy.
"Eidos is excited to present the classic Highlander franchise for the next generation of video gamers," said Robert A. Lindsey, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Eidos Inc. "Gamers will get the chance to explore the powers and abilities that only being an Immortal has to offer. Highlander boasts an incredible level of graphical quality and gameplay capabilities such as an advanced sword fighting combat system and destructible environments."
"For the first time, Highlander comes to fans in a new medium that allows players to dive into the Immortal universe," said Peter Davis of Davis-Panzer Productions. "The interactive experience permits players to gain a completely different perspective of the mythos, and experience the powers and advantages of immortality through the eyes of a MacLeod."
Highlander enables gamers to exploit the powers of immortality and manipulate situations that death would normally prevent. MacLeod can use his body as a conduit for electricity or fire, impale himself with enemy weapons to disarm them, and survive long falls from buildings to escape enemy attacks. Additionally, the life force of an Immortal is so strong, that his body naturally heals wounds at an advanced speed and prevents him from aging.
With an advanced combat system, gamers will master a variety of Highlander swords including the Claymore, Katana, and Twin Gladius. Players fight against powerful enemies in intense melee combat, utilizing skills and techniques acquired throughout the centuries.
Combining exciting swordplay with the Quickening powers of an Immortal, MacLeod unleashes fast and devastating attacks on mortal hunters and other Immortals. When MacLeod beheads an Immortal, he experiences the Quickening and absorbs all of that Immortal's knowledge and strength. With each Quickening, players will upgrade their Quickening Technique and acquire new powers.
- 4 distinct environments and 18 missions - Journey through an epic adventure spanning 2000 years, from 1st Century Pompeii, to 9th Century Highlands of Scotland, to 14th Century Feudal Japan, and near-future New York
- Utilize cat-like agility and Immortal skills to navigate physical challenges within the environment - Dagger climbing, Ropes, Dynamic ladders, Swan dive, Freefall, Traverse climbing, Cannonball, Beams, Ziplines
- Experience the Quickening as you absorb the power, strength and skill of rival Immortals - Resurrection, Chi balance (stamina), Weapon Mastery (Fireblade, Wind Fury, Stone Armor), Channelling the Source (charge up for powerful attacks)
- 77 characters - New main character – Owen Macleod, Familiar characters from series/movies (Methos)
- Exploit your immortality by impaling yourself with enemy weapons to disarm them, using your body as a conduit for electricity and fire, and surviving long falls.
- Master the Claymore, Katana and Twin Gladius in intense sword combat using skills and techniques acquired throughout the centuries.
- Immerse yourself in the Highlander universe, brought to life through incredible visual detail with the Unreal Engine 3 technology.