Only the most ruthless killers can join the underground elite known as The Club. From developer Bizarre Creations, The Club takes the explosive action of the shooter genre and blends it with break-neck speed of high-octane race titles to create a radically new kind of action experience. Players will blast through a secretive tournament known only as The Club, where the world’s rich and powerful watch merciless fighters test their skills. While highly trained and effectively brutal, most combatants find themselves forced to participate. The posse of urban warriors represents a variety of countries and backgrounds. They share almost nothing in common except for participating in the ultimate blood sport where the only reward is survival.
Players will choose between eight unique fighters, each with their own combat style and agendas, as they travel the globe in a series of visceral underground matches. In addition to a variety of single-player scenarios, The Club boasts an array of multiplayer options to satisfy even the most discerning action aficionado.
The Club mixes the best elements from action shooters with arcade accessibility, the pace of racing games and a story structure based on fighting games. Players will choose from a selection of characters to fight in a shadowy underground blood-sport controlled by a faceless, obscenely wealthy and influential elite – The Club. Each character has their own reason for risking their life to “beat” The Club. Some are driven by greed, some are driven by a higher purpose, and some are driven by pure insane bloodlust.
ADJO (The Giant)
board of directors. What had the company’s problem would soon become The Club’s gain. Adjo was kidnapped by Club agents – not without some cost to the agents – and given a stark choice. Take part in the Club tournament, or he wouldn’t believe the miseries The Club could inflict on the community he protects. Always the strong silent type, Adjo has no choice but to go along with The Club’s plan, but may have decided on a having a reckoning of his own with the evil men behind The Club, should he make it to the end of the tournament.
In his early to mid-thirties, Finn hails from the American South. As a professional high-stakes gambler who rides his luck a lot harder than is good or safe for him, he finds himself drifting from city to city and country to country. Always chasing the next big game, always managing to stay one step ahead of the law, always leaving behind a trail of bad debts and broken promises, it wasn’t until Las Vegas that his past – and the Mob - caught up with him. He owes the Mob a cool half-million. If he can’t pay in cash, then they’ll take what they’re owed in body parts. It looks like Finn’s luck has finally run out. Or has it? There’s another way out, a figure within his Mob captors tells him. Something called ‘The Club’. A game, played for the highest stakes there are; if he wins, he goes free, with his debts paid off. Does he want to play? Finn shrugs, indicating the situation he’s in – tied to a chair, surrounded by Mob thugs – does it look like he’s got any other choice?
At its heart The Club is about competition and proving you’re the best. Be that taking a character through their single player story and “beating” The Club, measuring your scores and times on online leader-boards or defeating your opposition via split-screen or online play.
The eight multiplayer modes include:
- Kill Match: This is a tried and tested death-match mode. The player with the most kills at the end of the gamer is the winner.
- Score Match: This is a points based death match where players rack up points for kills using the same scoring mechanism which is used in the single player game. As with the single player game, the key to big scores to combo.
- Hunted Killer: When the game begins the first player to make a kill becomes the Hunted. While hunted, a player’s score ticks up constantly. Only one player can be the hunted, and if a Hunter playermanages to kill the hunted, the hunted status will pass over to the killer. Becoming the hunted and surviving for as long as possible is the only way to score. The hunters are equipped with radar which shows where the hunted player is all the time. The hunted player does not have a scanner so he must keep on his toes to avoid his pursuers.
- Team Kill Match: This is a regular team kill match. The team who scores the highest by killing their opponents will win.
- Team Fox Hunt: In Team Fox Hunt one player on each team is assigned as the Fox. The objective is to hunt and kill the enemy team’s Fox without them doing the same to yours. All players begin with the same amount of health however the fox player can use health packs dotted around the level to bring his health up to a maximum of 400%.
- Team Capture: in this game mode, both teams have a base objective. The aim of the game mode is to capture the enemies’ bas objective while defending your own. Bases are captured by standing on them and holding for 30 seconds. The team who manages to fully capture the enemy team’s objective or the team with the most capture time when the game timer runs out is the winner.
- Team Siege: This game mode is inspired by the single player “Siege” game mode. In Team Siege teams are assigned the role of either attack or defense. Defending players have only one life whereas attacking players re-spawn when killed. The game plays out and the attackers must kill all of the defending players as quickly as possible. The teams then swap roles so the attackers become defenders and the defenders attackers. To win this round teams must survive for longer in defense than the attackers did.
- Team Skull Shot: The aim of this game mode is to destroy all five of the enemy team’s skull shot targets while defending your own.
- Each character in The Club flaunts a distinct style and background. Whether forced to participate or satisfying a simple bloodlust, each fighter brings something different to the roster.
- Choose one of eight highly-trained fighters and blast through over 40 single-player levels. Choose from a variety of game modes and challenges, including: Time Attack, Survive, Siege and Run the Gauntlet.Compete in over eight lethal multiplayer modes, where the most battle-hardened fighters rule the leader boards. Local play offers four-player splitscreen.
- Battle through eight distinct locations around the globe, including: war-torn cities, abandoned factories, steel mills and many more.
- Advanced camera system intensifies the adrenaline rush through cinematic close-range and long-distance encounters. Players can also destroy and modify the environment to their advantage.
- An exclusive score-based accumulation system creates rabid competition among players – high scores lead to new weapons, characters and maps.
- The Club benefits from 17 high-powered assault weapons, including Sniper Rifles, High Caliber Pistols, Sub Machine Guns, Mounted Weapons, Automatic Weapons and more.
The Club will ship in North America in February 2008 for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.
More articles about The Club