Taking place in a far-flung future, Omega Five delivers hardcore action never seen before on the platform, while providing visually stunning graphics that pushes the limits for a digital download game. The game is set in multiple 3D environments and features incredible special effects and enormous battles, all in high definition. Omega Five is distinct in that players can choose from multiple humanoid characters, each with their own unique special attacks and upgradeable weapons, which they can shoot in 360 degrees. Omega Five also includes a local co-op function so a friend can join in on the aerial mayhem.
The gameplay follows the tradition of past side-scrolling shooters: as the screen scrolls from right to left, you move your character in two dimensions, either shooting or dodging enemies and their attacks. As you proceed, you can collect both weapon upgrades for your normal attacks and “chips” to power-up your special attacks.
Hudson also released details on the final playable character. R.A.D. is another of Omega Five's unlockable warriors and is very similar to Ruby. Her skintight suit allows her to move much more quickly than Ruby, letting her weave through waves of enemy fire, though it also slows down her aiming.
- Weapon Type A: Vulcan Laser Cannon - R.A.D.'s initial weapon blasts enemies with rapid-fire laser beams. As the weapon is upgraded, the rate of fire increases, allowing her to unleash a non-stop barrage of laser fire.
- Weapon Type B: Reflecting Laser Beam - R.A.D.'s second weapon is a continuous laser beam that allows her to cut a swath of destruction through lesser enemies. Upgrades increase the power of the beam, splitting it in two, which also reflect off of certain surfaces. This lets R.A.D. attack enemies from around corners.
- Weapon Type C: Lightning Gun - Her final main weapon is a high-intensity lightning gun that roasts enemies. Upgrades increase the power, letting R.A.D. slice through enemies at will, as well as adding secondary lightning bolts that shoot out from the main beam at nearby enemies, doing incremental damage.
- Alternate Attack - R.A.D. has one alternate attack, which sends out satellite that can instantly destroy lesser enemies or anchor onto stronger enemies. After the satellite latches onto an enemy, it deals continuous damage, and R.A.D. is still able to fire in any direction. Additionally, while the satellite is floating around R.A.D., it can block enemy fire.
- Dimension Field - All characters can quickly teleport to another dimension for a brief time, allowing them to avoid enemy attacks, though at the expense of a small amount of life.
- Ultimate Burst - All characters can unleash an enormously destructive nuke-like attack, after having collected at least 100 p-chips (the pink triangles that appear after defeating enemies) to fill one p-jail (the golden triangles at the bottom left of the screen).
- Unbelievable visuals for an XLBA game – No other shooter available on XBLA looks this good. This side-scrolling shooter, the first true next-gen HD shooter, is set in a gorgeous 3D environment.
- Entirely dangerous environments – That ship flying in from the distance isn’t just for decoration. Enemies come at you from all sides, even from the background!
- Challenging gameplay – Play through the game from start to finish in ‘Arcade Mode’ or test yourself with ‘Challenge Mode’, in which you go for the highest score possible on one level. If you’re hardcore enough, you can try your hand at the ultra-difficult ++ Mode, where you're only allowed one hit!
- Choose your merc – Fight as Ruby, Tempest, or other characters, each of whom has multiple unique main weapons, along with both devastating and life-saving special attacks.
- Local co-op – Grab an extra controller and demolish enemies with a friend by your side!
- Unlockables! – Discover new characters, game modes, and options!
- Intuitive controls – A modern control scheme uses the right analog stick to aim and fire.