With the spread of mankind throughout the galaxy new colonies had to be found in the vast reaches of space. Colonists and scientists made the first landings, tasked with setting up settlements for others to follow. These colonized planets are ruled by rival corporations entrusted by the governments of Earth to protect its citizens from harm.
Little did they think from where that danger might manifest itself...
On the frontiers of the human incursion into space hostile alien forces have made themselves known, and they aren't willing to share. Beholden to the organizations in charge of this fragile frontier is the militarized installation: Heavy Duty. Their task: to halt the advance of the alien menace at all costs.
This beautiful-looking game features many advanced technologies allowing new scope in the field of action/strategy games. Featuring the first full planet simulation the player can zoom in from the depths of space to the smallest blade of grass waving in the breeze next to a running stream.
A recently developed algorithm makes it possible to launch satellites to orbit, track and lose sight of UFOs, conduct scientific research on satellite upgrading. The interface windows reflect statistic data such as cost of launching a satellite, number of satellites in orbit, and overall territory covered by satellite radars.
Any space craft can be detected – when it is covered by satellite radars, a text message pops up on your screen and a UFO’s exact location is tracked in the geoscape. A special icon reflects flight direction if a craft is in the air and a landing spot if it’s down. The geoscape interface mirrors icons of those craft covered by the radars. If clicking on these icons you can focus your camera on a selected UFO or give orders to intercept the enemy.
When a craft escapes from radars, this info is reflected on the screen as a text message, and all the icons of this object disappear. The interceptor that has lost the target returns to the base automatically.
- Advanced graphical engine providing visual scale not seen before in real-time action strategy.
- Reverse kinematics mean the end of scripted animation and make sure that characters interact with the world on a believable level.
- Manage the base, characters and finances as you battle to keep the alien menace at bay.
- Engage the enemy in multiple ways from dogfights in the skies with UFOs, to ground-based cleanup operations after wrecked UFOs crash planetside as well as the whole-scale assault of alien bases or the defence of your own.
- Fully deformable terrain provides a new tactical challenge – blow craters in the ground to provide your units with cover.
Release date: Q3 2008
More articles about Heavy Duty