Tempelhof, Berlin, dawn of 8th April 1949.
A major armed conflict is brewing between the Western powers and the Soviet bloc. The Red Army has been growing ever stronger since the end of World War II. With the growth of their army the Soviets realize that they hold the advantage, and are only waiting for the right moment to attack. That moment arrives with the Tempelhof Incident: the near-fatal collision of a US cargo plane and a Soviet fighter over Berlin's main airfield. A fatal combination of coincidence and human error, there is no point in arguing what went wrong, no point in asking who pulled the trigger first and who fired on whom in return. The Incident went down in history as fatal.
Within 12 hours of the crash the ground beneath the German capital is shaking with the salvoes of a war never meant to be: a conflict between former allies over Europe and global supremacy.
In this game the worst comes true, and it may just change the fate of the "free world" forever! WWII is now just a memory - but the Cold War has just begun...
In a detailed war simulation it is important to create realistic weather transitions which in turn have a realistic effect on gameplay and visual effects. The new graphics system provided by the brand new Gepard3 Engine allowed developer Stormregion to create a large variety of different surfaces such as, for example, reflecting puddles which disappear over time, vehicles which become wet with rain or glistening sheets of ice. This creates a completely realistic weather system which directly affects play through decreased visibility, changing movement speeds or changed weapons ranges, to name but a few examples.
- Authentic "Cold War" era
- Variable squads and customizable units with visible function upgrades
- Unique building combat system - buildings can be destroyed or occupied to gain an advantage
- Single-player campaign with 18 exciting missions
- 20 multiplayer maps and 3 modes: Domination, Cooperative and Team Match
- Physics-based building destruction. Each building will collapse in its own unique manner, using real-time physics simulation
- Full simulation of the effects of light and terrain conditions on unit behavior
- Dual display support with strategic map for making strategic decisions
- Brand new Gepard 3 graphics engine with full vertex and pixel shader 3.0 support
Codename: Panzers: Cold War is due to be released March 2008.
More articles about Codename: Panzers - Cold War