Empires of Steel uses a simultaneous turn-resolution system, better known in gaming as „We-Go“. You can form alliances, capture and trade precious resources, research new technologies, and of course form huge invasion fleets and armies to conquer your opponents.
Empires of Steel was built from the ground up with multi-player in mind, and includes voice and text chat systems, matchmaking features, and even a download system for mods, maps, and custom unit sets all integrated seamlessly into the game! Single-play against the the Artificial Intelligence Computer Opponent is of course fully supported as well – be prepared to see the computer declare war against you, or offer you a trade!
Empires of Steel is all about conquest and exploration: at the start of each game you can either load a pre-generated map (such as a real world global map), or you can create a completely random map based on your preferences for land mass and other parameters. The map can either be fully revealed to all players at the start, or you can play in exploration mode, and lift the fog of the the unknown as you discover new lands and valuable resources as well as potential enemies, turn after turn.
Battlefront is also officially looking for beta tester volunteers to help with the final stage of development! If you’re interested to join, please contact email@example.com. You need to fulfill the following requirements in order to be eligible for a beta tester spot:
- Previous experience with beta testing. You need to have been on at least one beta test team before.
- Knowledge of turn-based strategy games. You need to be an avid strategy gamer and enjoy this type of game.
- Access to hardware. Ideally you’ll have at least two PCs at your disposal with different configurations, operating systems and hardware etc.
- Time. You need to be available from now on through the end of Quarter 1, 2009 without major breaks, and willing and able to dedicate a couple of hours daily to testing.
- Online play. You need to be able and willing to participate in multiplayer sessions. EoS is heavily multiplayer with built-in matchmaking, chat and play functions that need to be tested extensively, so you’ll be spending a lot of time online playing against fellow beta testers.
Please understand that while Battlefront reviews ALL applications, only a very selected few will be able to join the team. If you’re not selected into the first group, you’ll have a chance to be eligible for the second, bigger group, launching in January.
- comes with a built-in Random Map Generator which allows players to build their own completely customized maps with a few mouse clicks. Developer Atomicboy Software has today released a handful of new screenshots showing a few samples.
- is about global domination. You need to conquer resources such as Oil, Crops, Steel, or Gold to fuel your production and infrastructure as well as technological research. Aggresive players can declare wars to fight for resources, and cunning players can estabish alliances to trade for them.
- is about the technology race. The game features an extensive technology tree starting from pre-World War One era units all the way to futuristic nuclear and satellite techs. Clever investments into technology will put you ahead in the race for global dominance.
- is about resource-management. You decide what to produce and when, how to upgrade your cities and armies, how to defend your territory and when and where to strike against your enemies. A typical game can be played in under an hour, or it can last days.
- is about tactics and strategy. Build up your armies and employ your land, sea and air (and space!) forces to defeat your enemies and establish an undisputed Global Empire!
Empires of Steel is currently in development and is scheduled for a release in early 2009.
More articles about Empires of Steel