The origins of the game lie with the original classic arcade game Space Invaders. However, Space Invaders Get Even puts a twist on the formula by letting the player control the space invaders themselves.
Breaking away from the gameplay of the original game and its spin-offs, Space Invaders Get Even sees players piloting the invader's UFO across a landscape rendered in 3D graphics, which encompasses areas such as cities, deserts, forests, oceans and military bases. By downloading extra stages, players will also be given the option to swap out the UFO in the game with ships from the Darius and RayForce series of Taito shoot 'em ups, as well as a polygonal version of the "classic" UFO from Space Invaders.
Players move the UFO with the Nunchuk, and then use the pointer function of the Wii Remote to direct a swarm of up to 100 invaders in blowing up buildings and destroying the defending forces of Earth. The invaders, which are rendered as flat, glowing two dimensional sprites which resemble the invaders in the original game, are split by color into three types, each with different attributes. Upon eliminating all opposition in the stage, the player must then take on a large boss, which include a giant tank, mecha and a huge battleship.
Players will control mysterious UFOs and give orders to hordes of Space Invader underlings in an attempt to overrun Earth and battle Earthlings' attacking human weaponry.
John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix Ltd. comments, " Space Invaders Extreme launched earlier this year recaptured the hearts of many gamers, and launched the Space Invaders series to a new generation of younger fans. Space Invaders Get Even promises to be a great follow-up release for this the 30th anniversary of the series."
Key Features :
- Intense action-invasion where the roles have reversed and you, and your Space Invaders are attacking Earth!
- Control mysterious UFOs and give orders to hordes of Space Invader underlings, as you attempt to destroy the feeble human weaponry
- Five unique attack modes to fit any battle situation you will face. Choose between Shot, Homing, Burst, Drill and Hopping
- Be prepared to battle the onslaught of Earthling technology including Tanks, Battleships, Fighter Planes, Fortified Buildings, Attacking Helicopters, not to mention the Bosses!
- Battle across seven unique gaming environments
- Upload your High Scores via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and battle for the world's highest score!
The basic game, dubbed the "Starter Pack", will come with one stage, with six additional stages to be available across three downloadable content packs.
Space Invaders Get Even will cost 500 Wii Points when it launches in North America on Dec. 1, 2008.