The Runes of Magic test servers have worked flawlessly during the stress test at the end of the closed beta phase 2. In spite of up to 1,600 players in the starting town called "Pioneers Colony", the beta servers experienced no problems. Neither processor nor RAM were close to being used to capacity, so Runes of Magic should theoretically be able to accommodate more than 3,000 players in one zone. Even with the Halloween event on Saturday and despite reduced hardware, the server didn’t get any problems. Around 1,000 players participated in this first big in-game event in the free game world.
Thanks to the stable network code of developer Runewaker, the current server configuration can handle far more players than expected. Because of this, nothing technically will stand in the way of the planned large scale PVP and guild battles, in-game events and server-vs. server-vs.-server-wars with the participation of three server communities. After the successful stress test, Frogster started with the closed beta phase 3 on Nov. 3rd according to schedule. To allow for a test of the remaining untested regions, the publisher has mirrored the server with the most characters to a new beta server. MMO fans can continue to apply for the closed beta phase. The open beta for Runes of Magic will start in the course of December.
At the moment, the Berlin based publisher plans only one last character wipe. This wipe will be implemented close to the start of the open beta, so that all players will start on equal terms. All interested players can start to level their characters during the open beta and take them over into the release version. At the moment, the Runes of Magic team is working on a comprehensive localization of the game, because the developer Runewaker has doubled the quest content to more than 1,000 quests at the start of the game.
With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free-to-play MMO games. Right from the launch Runes of Magic will convey its absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric world. Players can choose between six main classes. Combined with a secondary class they dispose of 36 individual character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
- Free2play, no monthly fees, free download
- Dual class system with switchable primary and secondary classes
- Enthralling background story
- Already over 600 quests and level comprehensive quest series on launch
- Instanced and persistent dungeons
- Individually developed skills and spells
- Armor sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system: Upgrades with hundreds of runes
- PvP system, to be activated with a PvP flag (Player vs. Player duels, arena combat, ranking system)
- Epic crafting system with the possibility to improve existing items
- Individual coloring of clothes and armor
- Housing: personalization with individual furniture for players and guilds
- Special zones for guild houses
- Reputation system
- Scalable user interface based on the users flavor (development of own add-ons possible)
- In-game map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- Auction house: auction and purchase items
- Teleporting possibilities per runes
- Different and unique mounts
- Controlling with mouse (point & click) and keyboard (WASD or arrow keys) possible
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
The German version will come to light even before Christmas 2008, shortly there after an English version will be released.
Frogster Interactive strives to release both the European-English version and the American version at the same time. Concerning the US version Frogster currently looking for a qualified US-Publisher.
More articles about Runes of Magic