With an extensive range of features Runes of Magic prepares to redefine the standard of free-to-play MMO games. Right from the launch Runes of Magic will convey its absorbing story through more than 1.000 quests embedded in an atmospheric world. Players can choose between six main classes. Combined with a secondary class they dispose of 36 individual character classes over all. All characters possess unique skills with impressive combo attacks and can use mounts. A particularly attractive feature for guilds and players is the possibility to arrange their own virtual homes with individual furnishing. Thanks to an extensive crafting and reputation system, thrilling PVP as well as demanding dungeons and boss-monsters, no wishes remain unsatisfied. The Taiwanese developer Runewaker has developed Runes of Magic according to western MMO standards within a time frame of three years. The studio will provide new challenges for players every three to four months with free add-ons and updates.
The closed beta phase of Runes of Magic ended on December 10th with a bang. Hundreds of players fought against the conjured up darkness, but it was all in vain: the server went offline until the start of the open beta with the death of all player characters.
Controlled by the community managers Mike Kiefer and Jörg Koonen, the final event of several days duration started on Sunday with the first signs of imminence. In the following days constantly growing hordes of monsters brought mischief over the world of Taborea. Hundreds of adventurers formed battle groups to defend their game world.
In a long and final battle against the community manager's evil twin avatars in the Ystra Highlands, the decision fell late Wednesday night in favor of the forces of darkness. "We are pleased how well the event was accepted by our community", Mike Kiefer resumed following the event. "The high attendance confirmed, that relying on special ingame events in the future is the way to go."
With the start of the open beta, December 15th 2008, MMO interested players can explore the complete content that has been integrated so far into the fantasy-online-roleplay-game. This version is open to all players after a short registration on the official website. All players that have registered so far, without being invited to the closed beta, will receive automatic access to the open beta. All players that are already active in the closed beta will keep their account. Right from the beta start the needed client software can be downloaded already. From Monday on all interested players are invited to participate in the final phase before the release in the first quarter of 2009.
- Free2play, no monthly fees, free download
- Dual class system with switchable primary and secondary classes
- Enthralling background story
- Already over 600 quests and level comprehensive quest series on launch
- Instanced and persistent dungeons
- Individually developed skills and spells
- Armor sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system: Upgrades with hundreds of runes
- PvP system, to be activated with a PvP flag (Player vs. Player duels, arena combat, ranking system)
- Epic crafting system with the possibility to improve existing items
- Individual coloring of clothes and armor
- Housing: personalization with individual furniture for players and guilds
- Special zones for guild houses
- Reputation system
- Scalable user interface based on the users flavor (development of own add-ons possible)
- In-game map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- Auction house: auction and purchase items
- Teleporting possibilities per runes
- Different and unique mounts
- Controlling with mouse (point & click) and keyboard (WASD or arrow keys) possible
MMO fans can find a registration form for the newsletter on the official teaser site.
More articles about Runes of Magic