Zeno Clash is an action/fighting game set in a punk fantasy world. The game blends the first person genre with the fighting game genre and the combat is generally up close and brutal. The original visuals, which make full use of the Source engine features, are a refreshing deviation from traditional fantasy games.
The unprecedented art style of Zeno Clash brings a fresh new approach to the first person genre with surreal environments and characters.
Zeno Clash is a story driven game with players assuming the role of Ghat; the son of an extraordinary hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother, whose children form the most powerful clan in the city of Halstedom. Ghat must escape from his family and go an incredible journey with his female companion Deadra, who will aid him in the dangerous lands of Zenozoik. In the game, players will experience an unusual arsenal of weapons built from scraps and junk. Some of the distinct weapons include dual wielding guns, a musket, skull bombs and more.
The game's custom soundtrack offers a beautiful musical score that is as varied as the game's settings. Zeno Clash will also feature Achievements to keep more demanding players happy while extending the game's re-playabilty.
The game also includes engaging Melee Combat that is up close and personal, allowing players to perform a variety of movements like deflect & elude combos, knockback finisher punches and punishing grab attacks. Players can also challenge a variety of unfriendly characters that will attack with their own unique fighting techniques and tricks as new attacks are learned.
In Zeno Clash players will play the role of Ghat, the son of an impressive hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother, whose children form the most powerful clan in the city of Halstedom. Ghat must escape from his family and start an incredible journey with his female companion Deadra, who will aid him in the dangerous lands of Zenozoik.
Some people live in the woods and have joined "The Corwid of the free" because they don't care for the semi-civilized life in the city. In Halstedom there is no state or laws. As Corwids they are also free from common sense or reason. Insanity is the ultimate form of freedom for them. In the woods they will develop their obsessions and manias no matter how impractical or absurd these may be.
Father-Mother has given birth to dozens of the creatures in Halstedom. She is their loving, careful mother, and he is their strong, rule enforcing father. Father-Mother always insists on keeping all the children close because having a big family to count on is a good thing in the dangerous and lawless land of Zenozoik, Many of Father-Mother's children are very skilled. Rimat is a natural leader. Xetse is a fearsome bodyguard. Therium is the cook and Henae is the combat trainer. They are all fiercely loyal to the head of the greatest
family there is.
Ghat was always stubborn and rebellious but he was still one of Father-Mother's older and favorite sons. Recent events have brought Ghat far apart from Father-Mother and the rest of his family. It seems that Deadra is now the only person in the world who still trusts him. Deadra never runs out of hope for the future which also makes her a strong-willed person who never quits. Together they could reach the end of the world.
The new gameplay video that has been released displays some of the melee attacks that players will be capable of performing to overcome their adversaries. A variety of punches, grabs and kicks are displayed as Ghat punishes his adversaries by throwing them to pits or knocking them into the air with a powerful comeback punch. The video also features combat with very different weapons for different situations. The clubs are necessary to bring down heavy foes that won't be stopped by anything in their path. The musket can be used to blow up explosive rodents that parachute from a giant creature's head. In Zeno Clash players will encounter all sorts of dangers and keeping a grasp on these weapons is key to survive.
- Fantastic visuals powered by the source engine: Players will be immersed in a fantastic world, beautiful and disturbing at the same time. The unprecedented art style brings a fresh new approach to the first person genre. The surreal environments and characters will keep player’s wanting to discover more. Discover the anarchic city of Halstedom, a green skied desert with impossible rock formations, the exotic woods where the nihilistic rejects live, and other incredible locations. The diversity of the world will capture the attention of everyone seeking something truly original.
- Engaging melee combat: The combat in Zeno Clash is up, close & personal. The new melee combat system allows players to perform a variety of movements like deflect & elude combos, knockback finisher punches and punishing grab attacks. The depth of the combat system will put player’s skills to the test. Challenge a variety of unfriendly characters that will attack you with their own fighting techniques and tricks. Learn new attacks as the game progresses and confronts you with more formidable foes.
- Deep storyline: Zeno Clash is a story driven game. Player’s will play the role of Ghat; the son of a impressive hermaphrodite creature called Father-Mother, who’s children form the most powerful clan in the city of Halstedom. Ghat must escape from his family and start an incredible journey with his female companion Deadra, who will aid him in the dangerous lands of Zenozoik. Unlike most fantasy stories with an obvious distinction between good and evil, Ghat’s motivations could be rebelliousness or revengeful. As new information about Ghat's past is revealed by playing in different timelines, players can make their own judgment.
- Bizarre weapons: An unusual arsenal of weapons is available for those who can manage to keep the enemy at a range. The eccentric weapons are built from scraps and junk, but they are most effective when used properly. Enemies will do their best to keep the player from having the advantage of fighting from a distance. Dual wielding guns, a musket & skull bombs are just a sample of the weapons the player will find on their journey. Hammers and clubs will be the most effective when fighting heavy characters that can only be brought down with extreme force.
- Beautiful soundtrack: The beautiful musical score is as varied as the game’s settings. The original soundtrack will keep players immersed in the different environments and key parts of the story.
- Achievements: Zeno Clash features achievements to keep more demanding players happy while extending the game’s re-playabilty. Achievements will require players to put their skills to the test.
Zeno Clash will be available in Q1 2009. In addition to its availability via Steam, ACE Team is currently in the process of securing a retail publishing partner in the US and Europe.
More articles about Zeno Clash