With the tools and the assets provided now modders will be able to not only get their own creations exported into the Sandbox2 Editor but will also be able to create complete new levels and modifications with outstanding content.
This SDK is only the first version that has been released to the community in order to provide the necessary exporters, plug-ins, and also respective documentation.
Next to some basic sample assets that provide information on how to set things up correctly, this SDK also includes a few serious game assets. These are high poly objects that can be used as reference for own creations.
With patch 1.2 not being far away from being released, the SDK will get updated with the game source code. The update will then be available for download around the time the patch is released.
Mod SDK – Content
The list below represents everything modders will find from the 400MB sized package.
* Resource Compiler (32 bit only)
* CryExport plug-in for 3DS Max 8 (32 bit only), Max 9 and Max 2008 (32 and 64 bit)
* Polybump plug-in for 3DS Max 8 (32 bit only), Max 9 and Max 2008 (32 and 64 bit)
* Polybump application (32 and 64 bit)
* CryTIFF plug-in for Adobe Photoshop (32 bit only)
* FMOD Designer Tool (32 bit only)
* Rigging, Artist, Animation Tools for 3DS Max
* SDK_Mod (inclusive “Nanosuit Playground” level)
* First person model (pure hands, with weapon)
* Third person run animation
* Properties (doors, glass, jointed breakables, ladders)
* Whitebox human male model
* Whitebox head model
* Weapons (SCAR)
* Weapon attachments (magazine, silencer, scope)
* Weapon attachment scripts
* Vegetation (bushes, grass, trees)
* Vehicles (helicopter)
Serious Game Assets:
* HMMWV Vehicle high poly model
* HMMWV Vehicle high poly model for 3DS Max 2008
* HMMWV Vehicle scripts
* Abrams Tank high poly model
* Abrams Tank scripts
Documentation – Sandbox2 Manual Update
In addition to the huge SDK package it was also important to update the documentation accordingly. The already available “Sandbox2 Manual“ has been extended by a few new references which are listed here:
* Entities – Volume Object
* Rollup Bar
Documentation - Asset Creation Update
We also would like to introduce you to a completely new manual called “Asset Creation”. This manual is especially meant to be used in conjunction with the Crysis Mod SDK and covers various topics regarding asset creation, installing the CryTools and using these together with modeling programs and the Sandbox2 Editor.
All the included tutorials and references are still Work In Progress material and will get updated within the next days and weeks. Thus it might happen that you read about a functionality that is partially working or differently used to what is written.
* Installing the 3DS Max Exporter
* Installing the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Exporter
* Installing the CryTIF Plugin
Basics – General Info:
* Creating Objects in 3dsMax and Exporting to CryEngine2
* Using the SOFTIMAGE|XSI Exporter
* Material Setup
* Level of Detail
* Exporting and Importing Animations
* Physics Proxy Setup
* Mass & Density Setup for assets used as Entities
* Instancing Objects
* Occlusion proxy
* Pickable Objects
Basics – Breakable and Destroyable Objects:
* Breakable Objects
* Procedural Breaking 2D Objects
* Procedural Breaking 3D Objects
Basics – Natural Objects:
* Tree Setup
* Bush Setup
* Grass Setup
* Vegetation Shader
* Touch Bending
* Detail bending for Vegetation
* Soft Cover
Basics – Vehicles:
* Vehicle Setup
* Car Setup
* Tank Setup
* Helicopter Setup
Basics – Weapons:
* 3rd person weapon models and attachments
* Character Creation Tutorial
* How to export a head with morphs
* How to create Wrinkle maps
* How to export a texture from Photoshop with the CryTIF plugin
* Using the Polybump application
* Polybump Tool Reference
Earth, 2019: A colossal asteroid crashes down to Earth.
The North Korean Government quickly seals off the island chain, claiming the mysteries of the asteroid for themselves. The United States responds by dispatching an elite team of Delta Force Operators to recon the situation and report back to the Pentagon. Amid rising tensions between the US and North Koreans, the asteroid suddenly bursts open, revealing a massive, 2km high alien ship. The ship generates an immense force sphere, freezing a vast portion of the island and drastically altering the global weather system. The invasion of Earth has begun.
The two rival nations unite to stop the aliens and save mankind. The newly formed alliance fights epic battles against the marauding Aliens. With hope rapidly fading, the player must lead a crack squad through lush tropical jungle, harsh frozen landscapes, and finally into the heart of the alien ship itself for the ultimate Zero G encounter with the aliens.
Crysis offers players a highly immersive FPS experience in which they will have to adapt their tactics, weaponry, armor and gameplay style to survive and defeat the alien invasion.
Offering true, open-ended gameplay, Crysis gives gamers an unparalleled amount of freedom that fosters completely unique gaming experiences. Players are outfitted with a revolutionary Nanosuit and an arsenal of fully customizable weapons, giving them a wide array of options not only in approaching the entire game, but every single objective or individual encounter. And they will need every advantage they can get going head to head against a menacing and highly intelligent alien threat amid dynamic, hostile battlefields that range from lush, tropical jungles, flash-frozen landscapes and a horrifying zero gravity environment.
- An immersive story that puts you the player in the pivotal role to repel an alien invasion and save mankind.
- A unique three-act structure that forces the player to use real-time armor and weapons customization to adapt to an ever changing dynamic world.
- Encounter a compelling, frightening and totally original alien species that uses its senses intelligently and work in combination with each other to present players with the most challenging opponents yet in an FPS.
- Enemy and ally AI utilise real-world military tactics.
- Take control of a wide variety of land, sea and air vehicles including trucks, tanks, boats and helicopters.
- Explore a living, dynamic world where earthquakes, breaking ice, landslides, and tornados pose a real and an ever-present danger.
- 32-player Multiplayer with real-time armour and weapons customization and an all new mode that combines player modification and tactical objectives.
- Emergent gameplay; actions taken in the game affect future outcomes giving each player a unique experience.
- Highly robust and easy to use mod toolset allow players to create their own expansive levels with game modes for both multiplayer and single player.
- The most realistic environments, spectacular special effects, physics game engine, lighting system and enemy AI through CryENGINE 2.
Crysis, not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI, is currently scheduled for November 16, 2007.
More articles about Crysis