Turok is an epic, story-driven first-person shooter set on a dark, mysterious planet in the future. Players take on the role of Joseph Turok, a former black ops commando, now part of an elite special forces squad, known as Whiskey Company, which is on a mission to take down a war criminal – Turok's former mentor, Roland Kane. While Whiskey Company is traveling to the genetically altered planet inhabited by Kane and his soldiers, Whiskey Company's ship is shot down. Turok must use his elite military training to elude Kane's well-trained army, known as Mendel-Gruman, and the ravenous, unpredictable dinosaurs, huge insects and other massive creatures that populate the dangerous environment. Turok's mission? Survive at all costs.
The realism of Turok and his team's terrifying circumstance is conveyed through the distinguished voice talent. Gregory Norman Cruz provides the voice of Joseph Turok and the other members of Whiskey Company are: Timothy Olyphant (as Cowboy), Ron Perlman (Slade), Donnie Wahlberg (Shepard), William Fichtner (Logan), Mark Rolston (Cole), Chris Judge (Jericho), Lombardo Boyar (Gonzales), Gideon Emery (Reese), Josh Gomez (Parker), Jon Curry (Foster), Jason Harris (Carter) and Steve Van Wormer (Henderson).
Powers Boothe is the voice of the villain, Roland Kane, an escaped war criminal and Turok's former mentor. Sean Donnellan voices Grimes, Kane's mysterious, elusive henchman and part of Mendel-Gruman.
The ravenous dinosaurs of Turok have made their mark all over the globe as Touchstone announced today the intense first person shooter has shipped more than 1 million units worldwide. The company also announced that the dinosaur-infested multiplayer mode of Turok will soon expand with the release of the Velociraptor Pack, five new downloadable maps. The new Turok downloadable maps will be available on Xbox Live Marketplace for 400 Microsoft Points and on PlayStation Network for $4.99 starting on Thursday, March 27, 2008.
"Turok has captured the imagination of video game players throughout the world,” said Craig Relyea, senior vice president of global marketing, Touchstone. “We’re now able to expand the multiplayer experience with the release of new maps. These five new maps are sure to satisfy Turok players who are hungry for more multiplayer challenges.”
Turok players of all skill levels can play the existing 10 maps with the development team from Propaganda Games. A Turok “Game With Dev” is scheduled for today Wednesday, March 26 from 3-6 p.m. PST on Xbox Live online entertainment network.
Touchstone also announced an April 22, 2008 release date for the PC version of Turok, the sci-fi first person shooter. Developed by Propaganda Games, the Windows-based PC version has been optimized for PC by Aspyr Studios. The game will give PC fans the opportunity to experience the engaging, story-driven single player experience and multiplayer modes for up to 16 players. The PC version, which will enable both the mouse and keyboard or a game controller, will be available for $49.99. The new downloadable content for the console versions will be available for Windows-based PC soon after that version’s release.
Of the five new Turok downloadable maps for consoles, two are completely new multiplayer maps, one is a new co-op map and two are relit versions of popular multiplayer maps available with the game. Below is a brief description of the five new maps:
- Co-Op – A brand new Turok co-op map for 2-4 players. In this co-op map your Whiskey Company squad has been captured and is being held in a Mendel-Gruman facility designed for holding dinosaurs. You and your team have to break out and make it to the rescue chopper before the Wolf Pack troops decide to feed you to the captured raptors.
- Desolation – A brand new swamp-based map where simple structures are set up alongside a rock cliff to allow helicopters and transports into the area to bring in supplies. There are many hiding spots on this multi-level map which enables numerous quiet kill opportunities.
- Sentinel – Another new multiplayer map and one of the largest Turok maps to date. The setting takes place at the top of a mountain around one of Kane’s orbital defense arrays - the very base that shot down the Whiskey Company ship from orbit in the single-player campaign. Also, the presence of a few large dinosaurs on the map can make things very interesting during multiplayer combat.
- Inconclusive Tests – This time the Testing Grounds map takes place at night and offers a different view of the world that now contains more dark hiding spots. A word of caution -- watch out for the raptors.
- A Rivalry Continues – As the name suggests, the struggle for the compound from A Heated Rivalry is not over and has extended into the eerie darkness of the night.
- Massive creatures – Encounter genetically altered dinosaurs, huge insects and other deadly creatures
- Dino Luring – Lure dinosaurs to attack human enemies or battle each other
- Dino Mauling – Dinosaurs pounce on Turok and he must struggle to pull himself from their jaws to avoid being eaten
- Strategic combat – Obliterate enemies with excessive firepower or utilize "quiet kill" techniques with specific weapons (the bow and knife)
- Cinematic experience – A deep plot is conveyed through cut scenes and flashbacks
- Dark, gritty sci-fi world – Realistic graphics and intense dynamic sound bring the planet to life
- Realistic A.I. – Enemy soldiers respond dynamically to the player's movements and dinosaurs react in unpredictable predatory behaviors
- Multiplayer – Engage in online multiplayer modes for up to 16 players with terrifying creatures added to the mix
Developed by Propaganda Games, Turok is rated M for Mature and is currently available in stores for the Xbox 360 and PS3 for $59.99.
More articles about Turok