Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map. This year’s most anticipated online action game, TF2 delivers new gametypes, a signature art style powered by Valve’s next generation animation technology, persistent player statistics, and more.
Unlike other “class-based” games that offer a variety of combat classes only, Team Fortress 2 packs a wild variety of classes which provide a broad range of tactical abilities and personalities, and lend themselves to a variety of player skills. Play as the flame-throwing Pyro, the room clearing Heavy, or the Spy, a master of disguises. Other classes include: Scout, Sniper, Medic, Engineer, Demoman, or Soldier.
TF2 features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date – and the most exciting class-based action ever created.
The first map, Goldrush, introduces a new game mode where the BLU team must escort a high-tech mining cart through a series of checkpoints to the RED base within a time limit. The more BLU players near the cart, the faster the cart moves. The cart stops if any RED team member is in the vicinity. Valve is currently the map; look for it within the month.
The Gold Rush Update introduces the new Gold Rush map and Payload gameplay style, the first set of unlockable weapons, and a new set of achievements for the Medic.
Valve also announced a worldwide Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend will begin Friday at noon PDT, and will include access to the new content released today in the TF2: Gold Rush Update. Using the functionality made available through Steam and Steamworks, all of the files needed to join the Free Weekend are available for pre-loading now.
"Since Valve released Team Fortress Classic nine years ago this month as a free add-on for Half-Life owners, Valve has continuously looked for new ways to support the players of its online games," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "Following in that tradition, today owners of all PC versions of Team Fortress 2 will automatically receive a free update containing new gameplay, weapons, and achievements by connecting to Steam, a platform built for gamers and creators of online games."
The Free Weekend is open to players around the world, and there is no obligation to purchase to participate; all that is needed is a Steam account to join.
To start pre-loading everything you need to play on Friday and learn more about Team Fortress 2, please visit www.steamgames.com/goldrush
New Medic-specific achievements:
- First Do No Harm: Play a full round without killing any enemies and score the highest on a team of 6 or more players.
- Quadruple Bypass: Heal a teammate who's taking fire from 4 enemies at once.
- Group Health: Work with 2 other medics to deploy 3 simultaneous uber-charges.
- Surgical Prep: Have an uber-charge ready before the setup phase ends.
- Trauma Queen: Deploy 3 uber-charges in less than 5 minutes, and assist in 5 kills during that time.
- Double Blind Trial: Deploy an uber-charge within 8 seconds of a nearby enemy medic deploying his.
- Play Doctor: In a team with no medics, be first to switch to medic after a teammate calls "Medic!" and then heal 500 health.
- Triage: Deploy an uber-charge on a teammate less than a second before they're hit by a critical explosive.
- Preventive Medicine: Block the enemy from capturing a control point with an uber-charged teammate.
- Consultation: Assist a fellow medic in killing 5 enemies in a single life.
- Does It Hurt When I Do This?: Kill 50 scouts with your syringe gun.
- Peer Review: Kill 50 medics with your bone saw.
- Big Pharma: Assist a heavy in killing 30 enemies where neither of you die.
- You'll Feel A Little Prick: Assist in killing 4 enemies with single uber-charge on a scout.
- Autoclave: Assist in burning 8 enemies with a single uber-charge on a pyro.
- Blast Assist: Assist in exploding 5 enemies with a single uber-charge on a soldier.
- Blunt Trauma: Assist in punching out 4 enemies with a single uber-charge on a heavy.
- Medical Breakthrough: Assist in destroying 8 enemy engineer buildings with a single uber-charge on a Demoman.
- Midwife Crisis: Heal an engineer as he repairs his sentry while it's under enemy fire.
- Ubi Concordia, IBI Victoria: Assist in killing 5 enemies on an enemy control point, in a single life.
- Grand Rounds: Heal 200 teammates after they've called for "Medic!"
- Infernal Medicine: Extinguish 100 burning teammates.
- Doctor Assisted Homicide: Assist in killing 20 nemesis.
- Placebo Effect: Kill 5 enemies in a single life while having your uber-charge ready, but undeployed.
- Sawbones: Hit enemies with your bonesaw 10 times in arrow without dying or missing.
- Intern: Accumulate 7000 heal points in a single life.
- Specialist: Accumulate 10000 heal points health in a single life.
- Chief of Staff: Accumulate 10 million total heal points.
- Hypocritical Oath: Kill an enemy spy that you have been healing.
- Medical Prevention: Save a falling teammate from dying on impact.
- Second Opinion: Uber-Charge 2 teammates at once.
- Autopsy Report: Provide an enemy with a freezecam shot of you taunting above their ragdoll.
- FYI I Am A Medic: Use your bonesaw to kill 5 enemy spies who have been calling for "Medic!"
- Family Practice: Uber-charge ten of your steam community friends.
- House Call: Join a game that one of your friends is in and then deploy and uber-charge on him.
- Bedside Manner: Be healing a teammate as he achieves an achievement of his own.
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box is currently available, at $49.99 for the PC version and $59.99 for the X360 and PS3 editions.
More articles about Team Fortress 2