KingsIsle's Wizard101 is an elaborate 3D virtual world in which magic and sorcery come to life as players embark on a quest that involves a massive cast of good, evil and frequently silly characters. Designed to fill the void between online play sites for the very young and Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games with mature adult interaction, Wizard101 (www.wizard101.com) puts players in the fantasy role of a Wizard apprentice at the Ravenwood School of Magical Arts.
"While the fantasy adventure storyline and collectible card elements of Wizard101 have broad appeal, as a parent I take the responsibility of creating a positive online environment for younger players very seriously," said KingsIsle CEO Elie Akilian. "Wizard101 is a destination for tweens and teens that's creative and witty, but still safe. We've set the bar high for this game."
J. Todd Coleman, an MMO veteran and the creative mind behind Wizard101, is heading up development of the game, which has been in the works for three years. In the game, players will adventure through magical 3D environments as they learn, collect and cast spells summoning fantastic cinematic creatures. Players can also collect bizarre pets and magical artifacts, solve puzzles, make friends, play mini games, and more.
- Extensive magical 3D world where players team up with friends and carry out quests to save Wizard City from the forces of Evil.
- Collectible card-style duels that come to cinematic life as players cast spells alongside fellow and rival students.
- More than 101 collectible spells summon zany creatures such as Humongofrog, Evil Snowman and Stormzilla.
- Seven different schools of magic, each with its own unique style and storyline.
- Many witty scenarios and characters based on history, mythology and pop culture.
- The ability to adopt magical pets, like a tiny dragon or flying pig.
- Puzzles and mini-games that challenge the player to earn crystals and enchanted items.
- New outfits and accessories to earn for your customizable Wizard character.
Wizard101 will launch in the third quarter of 2008 and is not yet rated.
More articles about Wizard101