Sudden Strike 3: Arms for Victory is the latest instalment in the award-winning, critically acclaimed and hugely popular Sudden Strike series. It features historically authentic models built to scale, fully interactive giant maps and full 3-D state-of-the-art graphics in the popular Sudden Strike style. Only Sudden Strike plays like the 'real thing'. WW2 gaming at its best: on land, at sea and in the air!
There will be four campaigns; two of them are on the Pacific islands, and two of them in Europe. The player will be able to play for the American or Japanese armies in the Pacific, and for the Allies or Germans in Europe. This will be the first RTS engine to render accurate vast marine and land battlefields (maps contain more than 150 "virtual" square kilometers).
Three new single-player missions and two multiplayer missions will be shipped with the Sudden Strike 3 - Addon. Two of new singleplayer missions form a Campaign, in which player will fight on a German side against USSR forces at summer 1942. Third is an independent singleplayer mission, where player will take command of an Allied forces in Ardennes at autumn 1944 and will try to stop German invasion.
One of the multiplayer missions is designed for four players, the other is for six players. Also we have rebalanced part of our old missions.
With new paratrooper units in the game, player receives wide variety of war-fighting tactics. As in the real life, paratroopers in Sudden Strike 3 Arms for Victory are intended for unexpected attacks and sabotage operations. Also, with air support you will be able to supply troops, which have been cut from general forces, with fuel and ammunition.
With release of the Ardennes Offensive (addon), damage model in Sudden Strike 3 Arms for Victory will take into account the following factors:
- Object durability (wood, stone, concrete):
- Based on visual appearance of an object, (the material which it was built from), we can estimate overall toughness of the object. Concrete is the strongest material of the game. To destroy concrete bunker a howitzer of large caliber is required. After brick and stone buildings go, then wooden constructions. Wooden buildings can be destroyed by the microcaliber artillery and flame throwers.
- Armor slope:
- We have collected historical data about all armored forces. Not only armor thickness is taken into account, but also armor slope. When hit in the armored part of object at a high angle, the bigger power of shell is required to break it. Sometimes, shells with insufficient power simply ricochet, and do not damage the object at all.
- Types of shells:
- The following types of shells are implemented in the game: armor-piercing, subcalibre, high-explosive, cumulative and incendiary. All shells have historical characteristics depending on the weapon firing , and have a penetration ability corresponding to values taken from the penetration tables.
- The armor penetration and damage of internal object's structures:
- If an armor piercing or subcalibre shell breaks through armor, it has a chance to destroy internal structure of the object in the point of the hit. For example, if a shell hits a thread, tank will be immobilized. Hits to the tower inflict damage to the tank's crew. Another example are the flamethrowers. They virtually couldn't damage a tank, but hitting an SPG or tank with open gun turret, destroys it's crew with ease.
- Fully interactive landscape (all objects can be destroyed, all buildings and pillboxes can be used as shelter)
- Massive operations on big maps, strategic scale of the maps (front line can be a few kilometres long)
- Thousands of units fighting in real time
- More than 300 tanks, ships, soldiers, guns and planes with original weapons built to scale
- Great sounds, 5.1 supported, nations speak native languages
- New feature - advanced Micro AI-behaviour allows your troops to act exactly as you plan
- Joint naval and ground operations, air raids, artillery strikes etc.
- State-of-the-art technology to render 3D landscape, realistic lines of sight and fire
- Spectacular visual & lighting effects
- Multiplayer mode: up to 8 players, GameSpy supported
- Five campaigns playable for American, British, German, Japanese and Soviet sides
Estimated release date for this add-on is May 2008.