The release, simply called the FM Update, is now available free via Steam to owners of the innovative and award-winning title that allows gamers to "ride their music."
The FM update introduces a host of new features and content including last.fm audioscrobbling, the ability to run Audiosurf as a music visualizer, scoreboard comments, and much more. Many of these new features were produced as a direct result of community requests and feedback.
In addition, this update introduces a Mod interface for developers. The interface was made available during its beta phase and several Audiosurf extensions are already available. These include Shuffle Play, an MSN Messenger status writer, and a context menu that can launch Audiosurf directly into a song by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer. A full list of the Audiosurf extentions is available here: http://www.audio-surf.com/mods
In other Audiosurf news, Kyle Gabler (of 2D Boy and World of Goo) is making his musical debut on Audiosurf Radio today. Techno music he produced years ago, before putting his efforts into incredible indie games, is now available for the first time anywhere.
Owners of Audiosurf will automatically receive the free FM Update by connecting to Steam, where Audiosurf is offered for just $9.99, including The Orange Box Soundtrack.
Audiosurf is a music-adapting puzzle racer where you use your own music to create your own experience. The shape, the speed, and the mood of each ride is determined by the song selected.
Points are earned for clustering together blocks of the same color on the highway. The game also allows gamers to compete with others on the Internet for the highest score on any song they own.
The title was created by solo developer Dylan Fitterer, who came up with the design for Audiosurf after six months of running BestGameEver.com, where Fitterer released a new game every Friday. Fitterer's favorite design produced during this period was Tune Racer, which was iterated and evolved into
Audiosurf FM Update Details
- last.fm audioscrobbling
- Comments tab on every song's scoreboard
- Customized player news on the song loading screen (when friends last played, songs you're champion of, etc...)
- Command interface for 3rd party mod apps (extensions)
- New hover vehicle for Eraser Elite
- Added Vegas ability: generate a random powerup every 60 seconds
- You can play freeride as a music visualizer on your desktop while other applications are running, and it will automatically advance to the next song in your current folder or current m3u playlist
- Improved Strategy Guide look
- Eraser Elite now has 8 rows of tiles (like Pusher Elite)
- Score browser now refreshes popular songs when you first open it
- Added blending to top and bottom black frame in gameplay
- Add a graphic to display your chain reaction multiplier at the bottom of the screen
- Longer-lasting fireworks on enhanced detail
- Maximum song length extended to 60 minutes
- Made additional texture mods possible (tiles, tileflyups, cliff)
- If you put a traffic.png file in the textures folder it will be used for traffic instead of blocks
- Going back in song browser remembers mousewheel scroll position
- Sound effect theme is saved between play sessions
- Checkbox added to stop being shown character videos
- Added OK button to the loading/news page. Gives you more time to read the news on the loading page if you want it
- No longer automatically goes fullscreen when maximizing
- X360 controller can now pause/resume play with the Start button
- Restored view track shapes and report button on scoreboard
- Fixed: unknown song text showing over strategy guide
- Chosen fullscreen resolution is now remembered between sessions
- Fixed Pusher Elite bonus text from 25% to 100% on loading screen
- Moved the "Drill" away from the track (would sometimes overlap)
- Fixed "Next Song" button when used with Recently Played Songs list
- Fixed: Resizing window could make the track temporarily disappear
- Fixed: was possible to click buttons on the scoreboard screen before getting there
- Block captures that force an early match collection are no longer lost
- Greatly reduced delay after resuming from a pause
- Fixed: menu background animation could get stuck
- Personal best is now stored correctly when playing from an m3u playlist
- Playlist files (m3u) now correctly ignore all comments and http paths
- Adjusted mouse sensitivity scaler
- Restored single-cursor on menu screens