Sid Meier put computer gaming on the map when he delivered Civilization to the gaming world, launching the "God Game" genre and creating one of the most award-winning and addictive strategy series of all time, including Sid Meier's Civilization IV. Driven by sheer passion for the game concept, Meier is now handcrafting a brand-new Civilization experience designed and built from scratch for next gen consoles and handhelds.
In Civilization, players strive to become ruler of the world by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age - waging war, conducting diplomacy, discovering technologies, going head-to-head with some of history's greatest leaders, and building the most powerful empire the world has ever known.
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a watershed game, offering players a chance to experience the epic empire-building world of Civilization in an all new accessible, visually immersive, and action-packed world specifically designed for the console and handheld gamer. Delivering Civilization's renowned epic single-player campaigns featuring vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay as well as revolutionary features like real-time interaction with leaders and advisors, extensive multiplayer capabilities and integrated video and voice chat, it will completely transport the Civilization series to a level of gameplay that fans have never seen before.
Some of the key features that will resonate with fans of strategy games and the Civilization franchise include 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action. In online multiplayer mode, players will compete for world conquest and glory among their peers as they battle in teams, head-to-head or epic free-for-all matches. In addition, auto-matching, ranked games, leaderboards, achievements, downloadable extra content and integrated video and voice chat make the online play more versatile and fun than any previous version of Civilization and will allow players to see where they stand against the competition. Finally, the position of ruler of the world can be settled online.
- Choose Your Civ – Choose from 16 Civilizations throughout history (from Africa to Germany to America to China) to lead to victory. Each time you defeat a rival civilization you’ll add an exhibit to your Hall of Achievements paying homage to your great accomplishments
- Intense Combat – Triple your strength by combining up to three units into one powerful army and destroy your enemies. When your units win tough battles, they will become veterans and then elites. You can then choose from a list of powerful upgrades that will give elite units even more strength to dominate in war. Your Army will wear a distinct uniform representing your Civilization, so you will easily see them on the screen as you lead them into battle
- Xbox Live and PSN - Up to four players can battle as teams, head to head, or have a complete free-for-all online. Auto-matching, ranked games, leaderboards, and achievements make the online play more versatile and fun than any previous version of Civilization. Additionally, Xbox Live and PSN users will be able to download multiplayer maps and scenarios post launch
- Custom Made for the Console: Developed from the ground up to take advantage of the hardware, Civilization Revolution introduces an intuitive control scheme, advanced physics, cutting edge visuals, 5.1 surround sound and the non-stop action that console fans have been craving
- Accessible for Newcomers and Longtime Fans: Guided tutorials teach players the necessary tools that will put them on the fast track to global dominance
- Game of the Week: Each week, a new map will be highlighted that players can compete in. Finish the game with the highest score you can achieve, and have it posted to the Civ Game of the Week leader boards to see how you stack up against players around the globe!
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will be released for X360, PS3, and NDS, currently scheduled to ship in North American on July 8, 2008.
More articles about Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution