Wizard101 was designed to fill the void between online play sites for the very young and massively multiplayer online games with mature ratings. The first beta testers have now joined the large cast of fantastical in-game characters for adventure and magic spell-collecting fun. Over the coming weeks, beta testers are invited to play the game and provide feedback to KingsIsle in advance of Wizard101's expected release in the third quarter of 2008.
Wizard101 features fantasy adventure and collectible card-style game play plus fun arcade mini-games. Under the direction of noted online game developer J. Todd Coleman, Wizard101 has been designed for collaborative play in which players benefit from playing together. A tiered chat system and pre-defined naming system is in place to create a safe online environment for tween and teen audiences while still providing engaging entertainment for the entire family.
As part of the character creation process, players will take a quiz to determine which of Ravenwood's seven schools of magic best suits their personality before they begin to collect and cast spells summoning imaginary and frequently silly cinematic creatures. As the player adventures through 3D environments encountering scenarios and characters based on history, mythology, pop culture and pure fantasy they will be able to upgrade their costume and magical accessories, adopt bizarre pets, solve puzzles, make friends and more.
- Extensive magical 3D world where players team up with friends and carry out quests to save Wizard City from the forces of Evil.
- Collectible card-style duels that come to cinematic life as players cast spells alongside fellow and rival students.
- More than 101 collectible spells summon zany creatures such as Humongofrog, Evil Snowman and Stormzilla.
- Seven different schools of magic, each with its own unique style and storyline.
- Many witty scenarios and characters based on history, mythology and pop culture.
- The ability to adopt magical pets, like a tiny dragon or flying pig.
- Puzzles and mini-games that challenge the player to earn crystals and enchanted items.
- New outfits and accessories to earn for your customizable Wizard character.
Wizard101 will launch in the third quarter of 2008 and is not yet rated.
More articles about Wizard101