Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One is an RPG-Adventure game set in the comic-book-meets-pulp-horror-meets-H.P. Lovecraft deranged 1920s universe of New Arcadia, delivered to gamers via accessible episodic releases. Players join Gabe and Tycho, the crime-solving team of the Startling Developments Detective Agency, to combat savage enemies and solve mysteries hidden deep in the sinister heart of New Arcadia. The game is the result of close collaboration between Hothead Games and Penny Arcade, featuring distinct artwork and characters designed exclusively by Mike "Gabe" Krahulik, story and dialogue by Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, and both brought to life by the Hothead team.
"Valve is a pioneer and a leader in digital content distribution, and we are thrilled to offer Steam fans our game series, On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness," said Vlad Ceraldi, president of Hothead Games. "Hothead believes in the gamers' right to the platform of their choice to play our games and this launch is another example of that commitment."
"Many at Valve are huge fans of Penny Arcade - the comics, the site and now the game," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "As such, we're delighted Hothead Games chose to use the Steamworks system of achievements and create a special PC version of On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness for the millions of gamers on Steam."
In addition to this first installment, Steam will also offer future episodes in the series as they are released by Hothead; in celebration, Episode One has been enhanced with achievements for Steam purchasers.
Key game features:
- Hilarious, over-the-top dialogue written by Jerry Holkins in a style that will be familiar to Penny Arcade fans.
- Progressively unravel the game’s mysteries through classic adventure game play.
- Battle an array of zany enemies with the RPG combat system.
- An interactive Penny Arcade comic: customize the look and dress of your character and explore the unusual world of New Arcadia.
- Gabe, Tycho, Annarchy, The Fruit F*cker 2000 and many favorite Penny Arcade characters, plus new characters designed by Mike Krahulik.
- Set in a steampunk meets pulp horror meets H.P. Lovecraft alternate Penny Arcade universe.
Minimum System Requirements
Windows and Linux
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista with latest updates or Linux 32-bit x86
- Pentium III, AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz or better
Windows and Linux
- Pentium IV, AMD Athlon 1.5 GHz or better
- Mac OS X 10.4/10.5 with latest updates
- PowerPC G4, G5 or Intel based Mac 1.0 GHz or better
- PowerPC G4, G5 or Intel based Mac 1.5 GHz or better
- ATI Radeon 9500 or better, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or better, Intel GMA 950 or better with 64 MB of video memory (shared or dedicated)*
- 512 MB of available system memory
- OS-supported keyboard and mouse
- OS-supported sound card
- 350 MB of available hard drive space (185 MB installed)
- Available Internet connection for download and one-time authentication
- ATI Radeon X800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better video card with 128 MB of video memory*
- 768 MB of available system memory
- 16-bit stereo- or surround-capable sound card with latest drivers
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One, rated M for Nature, will be available on PC for $19.95, and also via Xbox Live Arcade (1600 Points) this Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).