Two New Maps:
One of the things we enjoy at Valve is seeing the fantastic things that community members create with the Source Engine SDK. When we released Team Fortress 2, we also released the production tools that we made our maps with. Since then, we’ve seen a ton of great, community-made maps appear on servers out there, and received many emails from players recommending their favorites to us. After seeing the large number of these maps, and the high quality work contained within them, we decided it’d be great to get some of them out in an update so that everyone can experience them.
For the first Community Map Pack, we've selected two of the best community-made maps out there. It wasn't easy to select just two, with so many great maps to choose from, and more appearing every day. We've had a lot of fun playing these maps, and we know that many of you have too. For those of you who haven’t tried them out, you’re in for a treat.
A control point map with five points, in the style of Badlands. Its symmetrical layout provides for high-speed and well balanced gameplay, while the multiple indoor routes, connected to larger outdoor arenas, provide a wide set of interesting and varied combat spaces. The arena-style control points require solid teamwork to capture and hold.
A CTF map inside a large industrial compound. It's clean and straightforward, making it easy to learn, but its well balanced layout ensures there are still a wide variety of strategic choices for teams to make, and for individual classes to shine. Competitive teams and players have already popularized this one.
Pyro New Weapons
In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.
- The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.
- The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.
- The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.
35 Pyro Achievements:
- Combined Fire: Use your shotgun to finish off 20 players you've ignited.
- Firewall: Ignite 5 Spies who have a sapper on a friendly building.
- Cooking the Books: Ignite 5 enemies carrying your intelligence.
- Spontaneous Combustion: Ignite 10 cloaked Spies.
- Trailblazer: Ignite 10 enemies that have recently used a teleporter.
- Camp Fire: Kill 3 enemies in a row, all within the same area.
- Lumberjack: Kill 3 people with your axe in one life.
- Clearcutter: Kill 6 people with your axe in one life.
- Firewatch: Ignite 10 snipers while they are zoomed in.
- Burn Ward: Ignite 3 medics that are ready to deploy an Uber-charge.
- Makin' Bacon: Kill 50 Heavies with your flamethrower.
- Plan B: Kill 10 enemies while you're both underwater.
- Pyrotechnics: Kill 3 enemies in a single uber-charge.
- Arsonist: Destroy 50 Engineer buildings.
- Controlled Burn: Ignite 50 enemies capturing one of your control points.
- Dead Heat: Kill an enemy in the same second that he kills you.
- Pilot Light: Ignite a rocket-jumping Soldier while he's in midair.
- Freezer Burn: Provide enemies with freezecam shots of each of your taunts.
- Hot on Your Heels: Kill 50 enemies with your flamethrower, from behind.
- Next of Kindling: Ignite an enemy, and the Medic healing him.
- Second Degree Burn: Kill a burning enemy who was ignited by another Pyro.
- Weenie Roast: Have 2 enemy Scouts on fire at the same time.
- Baptism by Fire: Force 10 burning enemies to jump into water.
- Fire and Forget: Kill 15 players while you're dead.
- I Fry: Ignite 10 disguised Spies.
- OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt.
- Got A Light?: Ignite an enemy Spy while he's flicking a cigarette.
- BarbeQueQ: Cause a dominated player to leave the server.
- Dance Dance Immolation: Kill 3 enemies while they're taunting.
- Hotshot: Kill a Soldier with a reflected critical rocket.
- Firefighter: Kill 500 enemies.
- Fire Chief: Kill 1000 enemies
- Attention Getter: Ignite 100 enemies with the flare gun.
- Pyromancer: Do 1 million points of total fire damage.
- Hot Potato: Reflect 100 projectiles with your compressed air blast.
More articles about Team Fortress 2