Savage 2: A Tortured Soul will feature enhanced character models; higher quality animations; bump mapping; realistic, reflective water effects; dynamic shadows; point lighting; and an enhanced particle/spell effect system.
Gameplay will be greatly superior, as well, due to a vastly improved melee system; an enhanced, officer-based battle grouping system; 20-unit, class-based system; FPS fast-action-paced gameplay for certain types of characters, third-person RPG, slower-paced gameplay for others; better items with more RPG elements; and an improved spell-casting system. The game will also feature a comprehensive single-player tutorial/training -- something that many "Savage" fans requested, and S2 Games feels is necessary in order to shorten the learning curve of a detailed game such as this.
Like the original "Savage," "Savage 2" is a truly unique gaming experience that enables the player to opt for either the fast-paced, run-and-gun action of a FPS or the more cerebral and tactical planning of a RTS (playing as a Commander). With the creation of a new gameplay genre, the RTSS, the original "Savage" expertly redefined the first-person shooter and real-time strategy genres by combining elements of both into one cohesive experience. "Savage 2: A Tortured Soul" will preserve all of what made "Savage" a hit while continuing to deliver bleeding-edge innovation to the gaming audience.
The completely free content update will bring many new features to Savage 2, including:
- Enduring Items – Unlike regular items, which players lose upon dying, Enduring Items will stay with players throughout the match. Some items will have only a one-time use, while others may have an ongoing effect for a specific period of time
- New Special Unit: “Maliken” – Maliken is a late-game super unit, designed to be the most powerful unit seen in Savage 2 to date. To play as this unit, players will first need to acquire a series of special Enduring Items which will enable them to transform into Maliken and potentially turn the tide of battle for their team
- New Beast Unit: “The Hunter” – Frequent players of the Beast Horde will be saying goodbye to one of their old units, the Summoner, and saying hello to a new unit, the Hunter. This new unit will improve game balance and provide Beast players with a fun and unique new unit to play
- Automated Tournament System – The Savage 2 website will now have full tournament functionality for clans. This will be an automated system where clans can sign up for a specified tournament and receive their schedule/dates of play. Servers will be reserved in-game and clans will receive notifications of when they need to play. S2 Game will, of course, be hosting tournaments in the future and providing sponsorships as well as great prizes
- Unit Movement Enhancements – Adding to the already robust combat system, this latest update adds a bevy of new “dodge and evade” maneuvers greatly enhancing the current arsenal of character moves
- New Community Created Maps: “Desolation,” “Ancient Cities” and “Hidden Village” – All maps were created by community members who submitted their maps for forum contests. Desolation and Hidden Village were created by “Mercenary,” while Ancient Cities was created by “Manias”
- Character Taunts – This latest update provides a unique “taunt animation” for each character in the game so now players can destroy the opposing team in both body AND mind!!!
“This latest update is really a culmination of ideas from the S2 development team AND the Savage 2 community,” said Marc DeForest, co-founder and lead designer of S2 Games. “We are constantly working to elicit feedback from the players in order to create new content that will really have a positive impact on gameplay.”
More articles about Savage 2: A Tortured Soul