Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.
Promote and cultivate talented young colonels or brigadiers to build Corps and Army commanders that will help you fight and manage the war effort from battles to training of recruits with the utmost efficiency and success. An innovative multi-faceted rank promotion system allows leaders to gain in abilities and power based on their successes, while also simulating the historical progression of leaders during the war. Each decision you make must be weighed carefully, as promoting and demoting leaders, entering neutral states, raising troops and many other actions cost you the political capital that will determine your ability to achieve victory.
Explore the historical tactics of the day to find the best way to win. Use cavalry to raid the enemy supply depots and conduct reconnaissance to determine the best place to strike and then engage the enemy head on and watch the epic push and pull of battle unfold in front of you. In between battles, the mighty Union navy or brave Confederate raiders can strangle and disrupt supply flow at critical times in your campaign. Build river gunboats and transports to exploit the strategic value of the Mississippi and entrench and fortify key locations to deny passage to the enemy.
Test your mettle and strategic vision in one of the most bitterly fought contests in history – the War Between the States.
- Use wisdom and strategy to appoint the best leader for the job – With an innovative new system, units train and function best with the right leader. Weigh the strengths and weakness of the men commanding your armies to maximize unit attributes like attack, defense, movement, initiative probability, and training.
- Play on the edge of your seat with a suspenseful battle resolution system – Watch the push and pull of forces as the battle unfolds that will make or break your plans resolve.
- Master critical Cavalry Scouting and Raiding and penetrate deep into enemy territory - With the optional Fog of War rule, cavalry scouting becomes even more important. The Confederate early war cavalry advantage is accurately simulated.
- Achieve naval superiority with a realistic and complete naval war model – Harass and interrupt critical trade routes with a Union blockade and or Confederate commerce raiders. Build river gunboats and transports to control the “Father of Waters” and conduct amphibious assaults by river or sea.
- Fortify and Entrench – Entrench your armies and build permanent fortifications to protect strategic locations and interdict river movement.
- Conserve your Political Capital – Use it prudently to call for new troops, change leaders and enter neutral states. Build it up through successes and keep it high enough to secure final victory.
More articles about Gary Grigsby's War Between the States