Men of War takes place in Europe during the height of World War II. The story unfolds across three different campaigns played out through the eyes of Soviet, Allied and German soldiers. Each campaign has its own structured timeline bringing a different story of the war to life spanning across Russia, North Africa, Ukraine, Greece, Germany, Italy and the Pacific. The main Soviet campaign sees two student comrades, Smirnov and Kuznetzov, join the army and quickly become brothers in arms as they rise through the ranks and experience the rigors of war.
Men of War will feature 50 new units to play, including newly designed tanks, APCs and heavy guns. Dynamic, in-game video enhances the single player missions, while developer Best Way has given the sounds of war new range with over one hundred new effects, recorded under real operating conditions. The single player campaign will also feature a fully customizable user interface so players are able to set-up their command layout as they please.
In addition to the in-depth single player experience, Men of War also unleashes all new multiplayer maps along with new 'capture the flag' and 'high-value cargo' modes, all faithfully recreated with stunning graphics and refined AI. A new rating system has also been introduced to ensure a fair fight in online multiplayer battles.
There are 5 playable multiplayer nations in Men of War - Russia, Germany, USA, the British Commonwealth and Japan. Those nations vary a lot from each other, i.e. the Commonwealth has good ordnance firepower and strong middle class tanks, while Japan has a very strong artillery weapons (such as 200mm rocket launchers and 120mm naval gun carriers), but suffers from poorly armored tanks. Germans were well-prepared before they started the war, while the Russian army was less equipped and ready for the military operations they faced where as the American soldiers prefer to use stealth tactics as their tanks are poorly armored, but well mounted!
Features of the multiplayer part of the game:
- Fully destructible environments - use newly formed tank shell craters as cover for your men
- Brand new physics and armor penetration system.
- Each mission and battle plays out differently based on your tactical choices
- Over 100 accurately modeled tanks and vehicles ready for your command
- Realistic fog of war
- Smart AI searches for your men covered in bushes and calls for them for reinforcements. Also includes an all-new morale system.
- Four different playable multiplayer nations!
- Direct Control
- Up to 16 players via LAN or Network
- In game browser including ranked statistics
- Several well tested and intense game modes
- Cooperative game mode allows you to play through the campaigns with your friends
- NAT support, allows you to host games through routers
- Varied and challenging multiplayer maps
- Balanced settings - the smarter player, not the fastest wins the battle
How to participate:
Due to the demand of the Beta test, you will have to register in advance to take part. Please register in the DMS forums where you will find a post on the Beta test. From here you will need to post some details and shortly afterwards you will receive a private message with a unique CD-key, that will allow you to join the game once live and available for download.
Summary of key additions:
- Three evolving storylines in the Soviet, Allied and German armies, comprising 19 missions in total
- More than 50 new units to use in multiplayer mode
- Realistic models of armament and military equipment recreated in accordance with design drawings and historical documents
- System of ratings and statistics for every participant in multiplayer mode
- New nation in multiplayer mode - Japan
- Revised controls interface - customizable and easier to use
- New multiplayer maps and 2 new game modes
- Highly detailed WWII environments and characters faithfully recreated with a cutting-edge graphics engine
Men of War is scheduled for a summer 2008 release around the world.
More articles about Men of War