Six-year bloodshed known as World War II left tragic memories and unbelievable legends about glory and courage of the millions of soldiers. Even though it happened in the distant past, there are many questions yet to be answered. What would have happened if things had gone a different way? Was there an opportunity to finish the war sooner? What if there was someone who could effectively change the course of history? These questions together with a strong yearning to create a new and unique 3D RTS game pushed GFi UA (3A Games) to development of Officers.
Officers is a 3D RTS game with a non-linear storyline where the player acts as a military commander. The game is also a unique combat simulator that covers the whole period of World War II - player goes to the front as a commander of a small subdivision. Even though the ultimate objective is to occupy the enemy's capital, the game will feature special missions and tasks. Position of the forces at the moment of the war outbreak is historically correct. Global AI then takes care of control of the armies and sets current objectives to the player. Eventually, the outcome of the war totally depends on tactical skills of the player and his performance.
Battles will take place on 20x20 km maps that are located in the main sectors of the front. Each side will have up to 1500 troops with the possibility to control up to 500 troops. Different territories will have different landscapes, i.e. the way it is in real life. Day and night cycles, times of year, weather ffects etc will have a strong influence on the gameplay. The game reproduces the military structures of the armies and includes all main types of troops such as infantry, tanks, artillery, air forces, sappers, intelligence, counterintelligence and others. In terms of weaponry, the game will feature many well-known types of weapons and outfits different for each country. The same applies to air forces, military equipment and transports. The main character as well as other units has a number of upgradeable parameters that grow along the course of the game.
Playable for up to 6 players, Officers will have two multiplayer modes :
- In the Victory Point Control (VPC) mode the teams are to capture and hold most strategic points in order to gain the maximum points as soon as possible. The team who gains the maximum points first wins.
- In the Time Limit mode, the players are to gain as many points as possible during the time set. The team who gains most points when the time elapsed wins.
- Real sun and moon movements and effects;
- Day and night cycle, different weather conditions;
- Special equipment for night use and for difficult weather conditions;
- Realistic nature including liquid surfaces, mountains, etc.
- Interactive terramorphing, allowing units to dig in, use shell holes to take cover from fire, etc;
- Game locations of 5?5 km;
- Particle System - fire, gunshots, smoke, explosions, and destructions;
- Interactive destructible environment;
- Unique AI targeting system;
- SpeedTree technology for realistic landscapes;
- DirectX9 graphical engine;
- Dynamical per-pixel lightening;
- Dynamical shading and self-shadowing.
More articles about Officers