Step into the world of “Too Human,” the third-person epic action game from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights. As the cybernetic god Baldur, players are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the god’s hand, and now Baldur is charged with defending humanity from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on the eradication of human life.
In “Too Human,” players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep RPG elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the powerful Xbox 360. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage with vast numbers of enemies. Gamers can also take it to the next level by playing the entire single-player campaign in multiplayer co-op mode via Xbox Live.
TYR, The Old Guard
Age, chronologically: 2500+
Age, apparent: 37-40
Race: Aesir, cybernetic human.
Blood Type: Synthetic RH, hyper-oxygenate carrier
Implants: Broad spectrum toxin/pathogen resistance
Neuro-muscular (adaptive muscle memory) assists
Neural<->Machine cyberspace link (one-way diagnostic)
Mnemonic datastack link (refurbished)
Neural feedback dampeners (adrenal/endocrine)
Interchangeable modular manipulator (right hand, Tyr’s design)
This profile is formed from the collection of information over an incredibly large period of time, gleaned from many different sources.
Idunn’s notes: Tyr’s genestock is mostly pure human, but of excellent quality. It is possible that some geneering was done, but only to “tweak the base model” of humanity. It is clear that ODIN didn’t want to stray far from the original template.
Tyr’s origins are clouded in mystery. Records are sparse and incomplete. Tyr’s memory itself is unreliable due to the venerability of his implants and his file’s classified status. Tyr is the oldest of the remaining Aesir and some say one of the first, if not The First. He is a fine warrior and master strategist responsible for uncountable victories against
the Machines. In addition he is an Armor and Weapon smith of unequalled skill. Only Tyr understands the Sentient Weapon technology, despite efforts to pass this skill on to others and numerous recordings – there is something special about his understanding, something a machine cannot replicate. Still, we persevere in this matter, hoping to
recreate and manufacture them on a large scale.
Idunn’s notes: Tyr has grown tired of the constant war – his psychological profile is a damning indictment of early Aesir cybernetics. He has seen and done more than any other Aesir and has paid a price. Clearly, in Tyr we see the upper limit of our current cybernetics and where we need to excel.
Please note: All Aesir are trained in a wide variety of weaponry; both melee and ranged. From swords, axes, hammers and glaives, through mass driving linear accelerators, laser projectors, fusion/plasma hybrid energy weapons.
Tyr uses a specially designed multi-purpose spear. The spear’s tip can be fitted with a wide range of payloads: shaped charges, high-explosives, EMP charges, etc. most of which have been developed for anti-machinery purposes. The spear can also be fired like a rifle, shooting phased plasma packets at high velocity, i.e: a “burning spear” as
the kenning goes. It is unclear as to whether the spear, which is nameless, is sentient or not. It is more likely that Tyr’s cautionary opinion of the sentient weapons keeps him from using them himself, preferring a more reliable and controllable “iron” weapon in his hands.
Tyr’s roles on the battlefield are legion. Tyr cut his teeth and implants on the darkest era of the War, as humanity struggled to claw a sanctuary from the ice. As one of the earliest Aesir he often had to take any and all missions thrown at him. Defeat was not an option. Today’s Midgard is founded on the victories of the early Aesir.
- Thrilling action-RPG gameplay. Unlike some games that may force players to choose between two genres, “Too Human” combines all the creative economy features and social experiences of a typical RPG, such as collecting loot and leveling up, while maintaining the excitement of an action game. With a wide array of weapons, armors, cybernetic implants and skills, players have an unprecedented level of customization with their characters
- Explosive melee and firearms combat. It will take more than brawn and raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Using a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and high-tech weapons combat, players have the power to vanquish foes near and far. Witness the fluid grace of heroes and enemies in battle as enacted by the acclaimed motion-capture group F.A.S.T. (Fight Action Stunt Team). Feel each punishing blow through advanced visual effects made possible through the unmatched power of Xbox 360.
- The birth of an icon. Fight as Baldur, a powerful cybernetic god battling his way through enemy armies to become one of gaming’s renowned iconic heroes. From weaponry and armor to combat techniques and combos, players can fully customize Baldur to become the best possible hero.
- Advanced cinematic presentation. Characters and environments come to life with unparalleled visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. Survive pulse-pounding battles against hordes of on-screen enemies set against the vast landscape of the “Too Human” world. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger and bloodlust as each tune encapsulates the gamer within the immersive gaming environment.
- New level of accessibility through intuitive combat. Perform Baldur’s elaborate and complex combat maneuvers and chain together rapid-fire attacks and combos with ease. Through the use of an intuitive combat system, “Too Human” delivers gameplay that is easy to learn and rewarding to master.
- Shared experience. Conquer the world of “Too Human” alone or with friends through advanced, online multiplayer co-op gameplay through the Xbox LIVE® service.
- Modern take on classical Norse Mythology. In a world ruined by centuries of war, “Too Human” chronicles the epic story of Baldur, favored son of Odin and the last protector of humanity. As Baldur you must destroy the ancient war machines that threaten the world, but to do so you must balance your sense of duty and honor against your lust for revenge…perhaps even sacrificing your humanity in the process.
Too Human is currently scheduled for release Aug. 19, 2008.
More articles about Too Human