Designed specifically to take advantage of the latest technologies Tomb Raider: Underworld represents a new advancement in exploration-based gameplay. As fearless adventurer Lara Croft explore exotic locations around the world, each designed with an incredible attention to detail resulting in breathtaking high-definition visual fidelity that creates a truly believable world and delivers a new level of challenge and choice.
For generations, stories have been told of the fearsome weapon of the Norse god Thor. Legend holds that he who wields the hammer has the power to smash mountains into valleys and the strength to destroy even the gods. For more than a thousand years it has existed only as a myth…until now.
In an ancient ruin on the floor of the Mediterranean Sea, Lara Croft uncovers proof of the Norse underworld and the mythical hammer. As she attempts to unravel the secrets behind these myths, Lara’s perilous journey leads her toward a forgotten power that, if unleashed, could lay waste to all civilization.
Seasoned gymnast Alison Carroll will be the new face of famed videogame character Lara Croft, she will portray the internationally recognized heroine for the next year, with her first appearances to be made promoting the latest installment to the gaming franchise, Tomb Raider: Underworld.
Featuring the essential characteristics at the core of Lara Croft’s personality -- brawn, brains and beauty -- Alison Carroll particularly complements this iteration of Ms. Croft. Tomb Raider: Underworld is the first Tomb Raider game designed to reflect the physical athleticism and real-world skills required of a world-class adventurer. With an all-new engine built specifically to exploit the capabilities of the latest game consoles, Tomb Raider: Underworld depicts Lara as we have never seen her before with movements and skills reminiscent of a highly skilled gymnast. Sharing Lara’s strength and grace, Alison is an experienced competitive gymnast who has performed and competed across the globe. Her more than 12 years of gymnastics training align perfectly with the game’s enhanced movement set.
Throughout her adventure in Tomb Raider: Underworld, Lara faces challenges unlike anything she’s experienced in the past, putting her own training to the ultimate test. In preparation for this role, Alison is embarking on a regime that includes survival, combat and semi-automatic weapons training, as well as world archeology coursework, all of which complement the mythology and exploration themes at the heart of the Tomb Raider franchise. Alison is also enjoying special early access to the highly anticipated Tomb Raider: Underworld to study Lara’s movements, techniques and personality as a next generation gaming heroine.
“This is a fantastic opportunity and I look forward to embracing Lara’s world,” said Alison Carroll. “It’s unbelievable how realistic her movements are in Tomb Raider: Underworld and it’s so gratifying to be able to use my years of gymnastic training to portray such a beloved character.”
“With her tremendous athletic ability and striking look, we feel Alison embodies the spirit and strength of Lara Croft,” said Robert A. Lindsey, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Eidos Inc. “We’re excited to be working with her for the launch of Tomb Raider: Underworld and beyond, and can’t wait to see the reactions of Tomb Raider fans around the world to Alison’s uncannily realistic portrayal of Lara.”
Key Features :
- Master your surroundings: Reach new heights with the broadest range of acrobatic abilities and utilize objects within the environment to uncover new paths to explore.
- Explore epic and unknown worlds: Discover ancient mysteries of the underworld hidden within the coast of Thailand, frozen islands of the Arctic Sea, the jungles of Mexico, and more.
- Treacherous and unpredictable challenges: Each level is an elaborate multi-stage puzzle masked within an interactive environmental playground offering more flexibility over how the area is solved.
- New range of combat options: Choose to pacify or kill, target multiple enemies at once with the new dual-target system, and shoot with one hand while suspended with the other.
- New state-of-the-art gear: Utilize the latest technology in Lara’s upgraded inventory to navigate the world including:
- Active Sonar map: A revolutionary new tool that emits an active sonar ping to create a 3D image of Lara’s surroundings, perfect for uncovering hidden items and locations.
- Multi-purpose grapple: A claw-like device with a high-tension cable designed for climbing, rappelling, performing wall runs and manipulating objects within the environment.
- All-terrain hybrid motorbike: A unique vehicle design built to drive on everything from mud to snow and ice.
Tomb Raider: Underworld will ship throughout North America on November 18, 2008, with the European ship date following on November 21, 2008.
More articles about Tomb Raider: Underworld