Before starting the Smugglers 4 adventure, you choose to be a greedy trader, an ambitious bounty hunter, a ruthless pirate, or other denizen of space. You have complete control over your life, from managing the actions of your crew, to boarding enemy ships and taking over their fleets, and using these captured ships to conquer entire star systems.
The flaw with most space trading games is the painfully long time that players must wait while they fly to a distant star system or planet, with much of the game's fun being sucked into the vacuum of space during the seemingly endless flight. Smugglers 4, by contrast, is a turn-based game, and it takes only seconds to arrive at a destination on the other side of the galaxy.
Smugglers 4 is fun to play, and fun to replay. Players' decisions directly affect life on your ship, in your star system, and across the galaxy. Each time you start a new game, you'll enjoy a completely different experience, with new challenges, and different results. Smugglers 4 simply cannot get old because it is completely different each time you play.
You can earn money through trading, pirating, or by fulfilling missions. And as you grow in your career, you earn awards and medals. With financial and personal growth come the additional resources and skills to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. Smugglers 4's open-ended gameplay offers virtually limitless opportunities, and your actions will ultimately have an impact on a galactic scale.
There are 24 star systems with 75 planets. The professionally crafted planet art adds to the enjoyment of the game. There are four different factions, with different ship designs and different uniforms. There is a wide range of ships, each with unique weaponry and defense systems.
Smugglers 4's enhanced non-linear war and campaign system provides new ways to influence your battles. The program's unique text engine provides an enormous variety of story lines and mission descriptions, and more than 10,000 different descriptions of your battles and outcomes. Smugglers 4 is family friendly, and is fun for children, adults, and seniors. Smugglers 4 may also be enjoyed by the visually impaired. Using the program's special mode and a standard third-party screen reader, Smugglers 4 can be enjoyed by people who cannot see the screens well enough to use the standard mouse or keyboard controls.
- Acquire up to 60 different abilities and choose between 6 different professions (trader, combat trader, mercenary, bounty hunter, smuggler, pirate).
- 24 star systems with over 75 planets. Visit your favorite planets or discover some new systems. Beautifully crafted planet art.
- Four different factions with completetly different ship textures, uniforms and medals (depending on your success you can pin rank signs, ribbons and medals on your proud chest).
- Improved crew combat now featuring battle droids, EMP weapons and commando attacks. You can board and capture enemy ships.
- Completetly new spaceships ranging from small fighters and corvettes up to large freighters and battleships.
- The ships have special equipment and abilities that makes every spaceship unique.
- New turn-based space combat system including different abilities such as cloaking, recharging shields, boarding enemy ships, etc.
- Improved trade systems (Realistic supply-and-demand based pricing for those who love to trade)
- Improved non-linear war and campaign system. You can influence the war and how you do that is now displayed even better.
- Unique text engine providing different storylines of the war and mission descriptions (e.g. 10,000 different war declarations possible). Maybe this is the first time this has been successfully accomplished in a computer game.
- New music and SFX created by Nathan Madsen.
- Special locations spawning on the map (like hidden treasures, spy ships, VIP traders, alien artefacts...).
- Smuggling and pirating have been completetly new redesigned. They are more lucrative and meaningful with hideouts and criminal flags wearing off.
- Become Admiral and get command over a fleet of ships (in some missions).
- Attack large space stations and conquer whole star systems!
- Special end-game content: 7 new missions only available for battleships!
- No waiting! In many space trading games it takes you ages to go from X to Y. In Smugglers different star systems are just a mouse-click away!
More articles about Smugglers IV: Doomsday