While inheriting the basic design and functionality of the current "slim and light" PSP, the image quality on the new LCD screen is dramatically enhanced, and a built-in microphone is added to meet the PSP users' demand to enjoy games and content with voice input functionality without the use of a separate microphone.
Offering the highest-level contrast ratio, response time, and wider color gamut possible on a portable LCD screen, the new PSP is capable of displaying movies and photos in more natural and vibrant colors on its high resolution 4.3 inch wide screen. The new LCD screen adopts an anti-reflection technology, which enables users to see the screen more clearly in well-lit places, even when used outdoors. The built-in microphone will allow users to easily enjoy games that utilize a microphone (compatible with headsets), as well as Skype (requires a Skype account, Memory Stick Duo, a wireless Internet connection and a Headphone with Remote Control (PSP-S140) or Skype-compatible headphones.) and other communication tools. Through these additional and upgraded features, not only will the PSP user experience improve, but content creators also will have more flexibility to develop creative, entertainment content for the new PSP.
Further expanding PSP's entertainment capabilities, the video-out port(cables sold separately) is also expanded to output gameplay in interlace format, which will allow new PSP users to enjoy games on non-progressive TVs by using separately sold cables. With the current "slim and light" PSP, games can be displayed on progressive TVs only.
In addition to the basic "Piano Black" color, the new PSP will also come in "Pearl White" and "Mystic Silver"(may differ by country/ region) to meet variety of lifestyle and preference of all ages.
PSP is gaining overwhelming support from a wide range of users from all over the world through its exciting lineup of software titles as well as the introduction of color variations and network services. Since the launch of the "slim and light" PSP in Sept. 2007, the expansion of the PSP platform has been further accelerated, and more than 41 million units have been sold as of June 2008.
SCEI will continue to expand the PSP platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with the new PSP, building on the strong lineup of new game titles launching through the holiday season.
The Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack includes:
- Updated Mystic Silver PSP system; the first updated PSP available on store shelves
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters -- In this PSP Greatest Hits title, Ratchet and Clank go back to the franchise's roots with classic Ratchet & Clank gameplay. While on a much needed vacation, Ratchet and Clank's rest and relaxation time is suddenly cut short as they soon find themselves lured into a mysterious quest.
- "National Treasure 2: Book Of Secrets" UMD video -- Join Nicolas Cage on a heart-pounding adventure that will have you on the edge of your seat in a race to find the Lost City of Gold. Grounded in history, imbued with myth and mystery, Disney's "National Treasure 2: Book Of Secrets" takes you on a globe-trotting quest full of adrenaline-pumping twists and turns -- all leading to the final clue in a mysterious and highly guarded book containing centuries of secrets.
- echochrome PlayStation Network voucher -- Featuring an elegant black and white art design, echochrome is a puzzle game unlike any other. With gameplay based on optical illusions, players must utilize five simple laws of perspective to join walkways, hide dangers, and create new paths to reach the "echos," or shadow guides. Download echochrome for PSP from the PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick PRO Duo with the included voucher.
- 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo -- Store your photos, music, videos, downloadable games and game saves.
The PSP 4GB Memory Entertainment Pack will be the first bundle to feature a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo, offering plenty of storage for saving movies and TV shows downloaded from the recently launched PlayStation Network video delivery service. The bundle will be available in November for $199.99 (MSRP).
The PSP 4GB Memory Entertainment Pack includes:
- Updated Piano Black PSP system
- 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo -- Store more photos, music, videos, downloadable games and game saves.
- Everyday Shooter PlayStation Network voucher* -- A colorful and music-driven arcade shooter, Everyday Shooter won three awards at the Independent Gaming Festival at the 2007 Game Developers Conference. Unlike traditional arcade shooters, in Everyday Shooter each on-screen interaction is a note, chord, or riff that plays in harmony with each level's unique music track. The title is available for PS3 and will be making its debut for PSP. Download Everyday Shooter for PSP from PlayStation Store to your Memory Stick PRO Duo with the included voucher.
In addition to the new PSP Entertainment Packs, an updated PSP in Piano Black will be available later this year as part of the PSP Core Pack, which includes an AC adaptor and battery pack for $169.99 (MSRP).
New PSP will hit the market worldwide on Oct.14, 2008, and will debut with the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack ($199.99 MSRP).