Considered to be one the finest games in the history of interactive entertainment, BioShock is a watershed entry into the world of video games. As one of the most lauded franchises in the past decade, BioShock introduces gamers into an exciting world filled with fascinating characters, intelligent enemies and complex moral choices that define the foundation of the game world. With its rich story, meticulous attention to visual detail, tense action and infinite replay value, BioShock delivers the perfect blend of storytelling and first person action.
Developed by 2K Marin, 2K Boston, 2K Australia and Digital Extremes, the PS3 release brings forth new features and content that expands the world of BioShock in new and exciting ways.
Barely surviving a plane crash, the player lands in icy uncharted waters and discovers an undersea city called Rapture, a failed utopia whose citizens had embraced genetic engineering before the city descended into pure anarchy. Power and greed have run amok and the city has succumbed to civil war. Fans have embraced BioShock’s mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. BioShock is also renowned for its rich visual detail depicting a gorgeous Art Deco world set deep beneath the sea.
The new Survivor mode is a new, highly challenging difficulty mode exclusive to the PS3 version of BioShock, you're more vulnerable, enemies are tougher, every resource is more precious.
The enemy population numbers haven't changed, but every single enemy is tougher and deals more damage to you. Additionally, if you die and resurrect at a Vita-Chamber, you get less EVE back, so death has a real sting to it. Disabling Vita-Chambers changes how you progress through the game pretty fundamentally, so that is still a separate option. Of course, the ultimate challenge is to beat Extreme difficulty with them disabled - a true old school "iron man" play experience.
Get to know some of the more indirect plasmids like Target Dummy and Enrage. Learn how to formulate plans, set up and manipulate the world. A good challenge is to see how quickly you can reduce a Big Daddy from full strength to dead, by setting traps and picking just the right fighting area before launching the attack in earnest. In Extreme mode, the fewer hits you take from Daddies the better.
- All-new PS3 exclusive content: In addition to the original revolutionary game experience, PS3 fans can enjoy a brand new difficulty mode – Survivor – as well as enjoy Trophy support as they explore Rapture. And the experience doesn’t end there – all new exclusive BioShock downloadable content will be available only on the PS3 after launch
- Choices and consequences: Make meaningful choices and mature decisions, ultimately culminating in the grand question: do you exploit the innocent survivors of Rapture…or save them?
- The world is your weapon: Take control of your world by hacking mechanical devices, commandeering security turrets and crafting unique items critical to your survival
- Weapon upgrades provide ammunition for every situation: Upgrade your weapons with ionic gels, explosives and toxins to customize them to take advantage of your enemies’ weaknesses
- Gameplay that evolves around your playing style: Customize your experience by genetically modifying your body through dozens of Plasmid Stations scattered throughout the city and turn your body into the ultimate weapon
- Adaptive AI provides challenges around every corner: Explore a living world where the inhabitants have interesting and consequential relationships with one another that impact your gameplay experience
- Immerse yourself in Rapture: Experience breathtaking visuals that vividly illustrate the forlorn Art Deco city, highlighted by strikingly realistic water effects and meticulously detailed environments
Currently available on PC and Xbox 360, Bioshock on PS3 will be available in October.
More articles about BioShock