Step into the world of “Too Human,” the third-person epic action game from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights. As the cybernetic god Baldur, players are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the god’s hand, and now Baldur is charged with defending humanity from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on the eradication of human life.
In “Too Human,” players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep RPG elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the powerful Xbox 360. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage with vast numbers of enemies. Gamers can also take it to the next level by playing the entire single-player campaign in multiplayer co-op mode via Xbox Live.
The Ice Forests of Svartalfheim
As the Fimbulwinter took hold in the aftermath of wanton anti-matter detonation, the planet was brought into a premature ice-age. Glaciers formed with remarkable, unnatural rapidity, changing the landscape seemingly forever. But even glaciers aren’t static and over the intervening centuries they move and crumble, giving rise to other features. So it is with Svartalfheim, remnant of a deteriorating glacier leaving pillars and mesas, forming a forest of ice. The dark elves and goblins have made this place their home, waging war against the humans from this distant eerie landscape.
Approaching the Ice Forests is a dangerous proposition. The dark elves’ machinery draws energy from the nanotech grid of cyberspace, causing massive electrical disturbances throughout the region. Most high potential electrical sources are shorted out, or channel enormous energies through them, destroying them in the process, particularly at high altitude. The machines, of course, are impervious to this, having been shielded from most forms of natural radiation by the masters.
Journey into Darkness
The path into the Ice Forests is a treacherous one. The Glacier has carved out a narrow channel, realistically traversable only by APC. Flight into the forest is foolhardy at best, even with proper shielding. But even the APCs can only go so far – as the walls of the canyons narrow, the APCs are unable to continue and further passage into Svartalfheim can only be done on foot. On the ground, both humans and Aesir are open targets, vulnerable and alone, with sanctuary a distant memory.
- Thrilling action-RPG gameplay. Unlike some games that may force players to choose between two genres, “Too Human” combines all the creative economy features and social experiences of a typical RPG, such as collecting loot and leveling up, while maintaining the excitement of an action game. With a wide array of weapons, armors, cybernetic implants and skills, players have an unprecedented level of customization with their characters
- Explosive melee and firearms combat. It will take more than brawn and raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Using a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and high-tech weapons combat, players have the power to vanquish foes near and far. Witness the fluid grace of heroes and enemies in battle as enacted by the acclaimed motion-capture group F.A.S.T. (Fight Action Stunt Team). Feel each punishing blow through advanced visual effects made possible through the unmatched power of Xbox 360.
- The birth of an icon. Fight as Baldur, a powerful cybernetic god battling his way through enemy armies to become one of gaming’s renowned iconic heroes. From weaponry and armor to combat techniques and combos, players can fully customize Baldur to become the best possible hero.
- Advanced cinematic presentation. Characters and environments come to life with unparalleled visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. Survive pulse-pounding battles against hordes of on-screen enemies set against the vast landscape of the “Too Human” world. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger and bloodlust as each tune encapsulates the gamer within the immersive gaming environment.
- New level of accessibility through intuitive combat. Perform Baldur’s elaborate and complex combat maneuvers and chain together rapid-fire attacks and combos with ease. Through the use of an intuitive combat system, “Too Human” delivers gameplay that is easy to learn and rewarding to master.
- Shared experience. Conquer the world of “Too Human” alone or with friends through advanced, online multiplayer co-op gameplay through the Xbox LIVE® service.
- Modern take on classical Norse Mythology. In a world ruined by centuries of war, “Too Human” chronicles the epic story of Baldur, favored son of Odin and the last protector of humanity. As Baldur you must destroy the ancient war machines that threaten the world, but to do so you must balance your sense of duty and honor against your lust for revenge…perhaps even sacrificing your humanity in the process.
Too Human is currently scheduled for release in North America on Aug. 19, 2008, and Europe on Aug. 29th (£44.99)
More articles about Too Human