In the all-new $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest, aspiring game developers create modifications (“mods”) for the PC version of Unreal Tournament 3 in a range of categories including levels, characters, weapons, game types, tools, vehicles and more. Winnings exceed well over $1 million in value, consisting of one coveted Unreal Engine 3 license as a grand prize in addition to other cash awards and prizes, including Intel Software Development Products and Velocity Micro PCs based on the Intel® Dual Socket Extreme Desktop Platform with two Intel® Core™2 Extreme quad-core processors. The 2008 “$1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest” will be judged in four preliminary phases and a grand final. Judging began in June 2008 and will conclude, with the grand final prizes being awarded, in late 2009.
The competition rewards top mods created for Unreal Tournament 3 with cash and hardware prizes in four preliminary phases and a grand final judging. Epic will reveal the winners in all 10 Phase 1 categories later this month at the Austin Game Developers Conference, September 15-17, 2008.
The Best Weapon category finalists are recognized as follows:
- Cluster Rifle by Teemu Vaisanen and Jonne Vaisanen
- Coda Sword by Denrei
- IceBlow by Sylvain Hittelet
- Mobile Portal Emitter by Keith Miron
- Pitbull Shotgun by Arn “ShadowBlade” Richert and Nolan “Dark Carnivour” Richert of Runestorm
- RealWeapons (for the AK-47, Chainsaw, and MP-5) by John “bez” Beswick
- SNOT Launcher by Justin
- Thor Lightning Gun by Arn “ShadowBlade” Richert and Nolan “Dark Carnivour” Richert of Runestorm
The following weapons get an honorable mention:
- Ash Gravity Gun by Aaron “Charybdis” Ash
- BattleTrans by Nico “BattleMode” de Vries
- PunisherSix by Dave Neun
Epic will begin accepting submissions for Phase 2 of the $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest on September 30, 2008, and the entry deadline for Phase 2 is October 17, 2008. Participation in Phase 1 is not required for eligibility in Phase 2. Visit www.makesomethingunreal.com for more details on the contest.