The premium 8 Ball pack is set to feature eight thrilling new cars to race and two new online events to compete in. Each vehicle is beautifully realised and was carefully selected as a thoroughbred racing car with a unique personality to deliver a stunning race experience.
‘8 Ball’ DLC Pack Cars:
- McLaren F1 GTR – The McLaren F1 GTR wrote itself into the history books as the only GT car to ever win Le Mans and is considered one of the finest examples of automotive engineering in history.
- TVR Cerbera Speed 12 – The TVR 12 smashes past 60 MPH in just under 3 seconds. Production models were planned, but they were considered too powerful to sell to the general public.
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X – For over a decade the Evo has been billed as a supercar slayer – now the Evo-X in GRID lets you unleash its sledgehammer aggression in the Pro-Tuned class.
- Honda S2000 – This roadster is heavily modified for drifting and has become a cult-favourite thanks to its award winning engine.
- Nissan GT-R (S-G2008) – The production model was Top Gear’s Supercar of the Year 2007. Now one of the world’s hottest cars makes its debut in Race Driver: GRID in its fully tuned racing spec.
- VW Nardo – This powerful concept car made real from VW uses its 600BHP engine to rocket to 60MPH in 3.1 seconds.
- Pontiac Firebird Trans AM – The 1971 racing edition of this true American legend is a worthy addition to GRID’s exclusive group of muscle cars.
- Volvo C30 – Adding to Race Driver: GRID’s touring car roster comes the C30, Volvo’s agile, cutting edge hot-hatch straight from the STCC grid.
All eight cars will be available to drive in the game’s ‘Race Day’ mode and online races. In addition to the cars, the pack will make two new multiplayer events available, set on existing circuits from across Race Driver: GRID's three continents and to test drivers to their very limit online. On Xbox 360, the pack will also feature four new Achievements worth a total of 100 points to earn from four new competitive challenges:
- Jack Of All Trades – Win an online race in each of the 8 Ball pack cars – 25pts.
- Drift Master - Achieve a 99x combo in the Honda S2000 – 25pts.
- Gas Guzzler - Clock up over 250 miles in your favourite 8 Ball pack car– 25pts.
- Clean Passing - Win a clean race in an 8 Ball Pack car from last position – 25pts.
With pricing for the pack to be confirmed at launch, the ‘8 Ball’ content will be available from PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. Details for downloadable content for the PC edition of Race Driver: GRID will be announced shortly.
Further content is expected to be released for the game, including a V8 Supercars featuring Ford and Holden cars and the Bathurst circuit, later this year.
Race Driver: GRID will deliver intense, incident-packed wheel-to-wheel racing against aggressive AI opponents to create a breathtaking race experience, all the way from the grid to the flag. Accessible handling will enable gamers to jump straight into the action, while a huge career mode includes championship and race events. Quick fire Challenges offer a fast fix of racing for gamers on-the-go and include Time Trials, Speed Tests and Chase events.
Bringing a new world of motor sport to life, players will race at beautifully realised and diverse locations across three continents. In Europe, race prestige marques on the world's most famous circuits including Spa and the Nurburgring. In America, compete in powerful muscle cars through the streets of San Francisco to Washington DC. Taking the race to Japan, experience the unique exhilaration of drift racing on the neon lit streets of Shibuya and then compete in Touge events, downhill races that operate on the fringe of legality.
- Codemasters Studios’ history of creating stellar racing titles, combined with AI and the ability of the EGO™ engine allow them to deliver GRID - a pure and cinematic race experience
- New and classic, track and street – conquer the greatest racetracks and then go beyond with road races and urban street competitions
- Exotics, imports and beefy muscle cars are all available to race in hugely varied events with grids of up to twenty cars aggressively competing for the lead
- Europe, US and Japan are all beautifully designed, each with their own individual takes on racing:
- U.S.A – In thunderous V8 muscle cars, race diverse courses on city streets in flat out, door banging racing action
- Japan – Reject traditional Western racing and drift over to Japan for action the fringes of legality in industrial areas and back streets from dusk ‘till dawn
- Europe – Race the famous tracks dominated by Le Mans in some of the most technologically advanced cars ever created such as the Ferrari F430 GT, Lamborghini Murcielago GTR, Aston Martin DBR9, Koenigsegg CCXR and Porsche 911 GT3-RSR
- A GRID race tests a driver’s skills at every turn -- crammed with high-impact moments such as, engine fires, tire blow outs, bump and runs, wild crashes involving flipping, spinning, and collisions with other cars and trackside objects
- Physics models will ensure that collisions and crashes yield the kind of spectacle that a Hollywood movie director would ask for. Slow motion will be used extensively to give replays the blockbuster treatment
- Race your cars online in high-adrenaline multiplayer, multiple car events
Exclusively for the NDS edition, Race Driver: GRID will feature the evolution of the critically acclaimed track editor, first seen in Race Driver: Create and Race. With over 60 individual pieces, the creation system offers near-limitless design options, including the ability to personalise trackside hoardings and billboards. Players will be able to craft complete championship circuits in detail or, using the simple Free-Draw tool, create and race within minutes.
Extensive online and multiplayer options let players compete in adrenaline pumping four-player races, climb to the top of global online leader boards for every race event, or share up to four individually created tracks with up to four players in the ultimate custom race series. Gamers can also upload and download new tracks to Race Driver: GRID servers.
With a stunning selection of real-world settings, outstanding racing cars, a powerful track editor and incredible graphics, Race Driver: GRID is the most exciting, fun and feature packed racer you can fit in your pocket. Developed by Firebrand Games, the team responsible for the award-winning Race Driver: Create and Race, the NDS edition of Race Driver: GRID is coming summer 2008.
More articles about GRID