In this full featured 3D action adventure, players take control of Frank, a simple alien that must partner up with The Maw, a cute little blob with an insatiable hunger that makes him the most dangerous creature in the galaxy. Players will need to harness The Maw’s unstoppable growth and the incredible powers he earns, in order to help Frank find his way home.
The Maw features a lengthy, full scope, single-player experience filled with hundreds of 3D character animations, intense cinemas, cutting edge graphics technology, a professionally composed soundtrack, and much more.
Ten independently developed games, were selected by a panel of 50 industry experts out of over 80 submissions as the best in terms of gameplay and "fun factor." The PAX 10 winners displayed their games at the 2008 Penny Arcade Expo (PAX), allowing attendees the opportunity to view each of the titles and cast their secret ballots, earning The Maw top honors for the inaugural year of the showcase event.
"The PAX 10 winners were great to work with and were as busy as any other booth on the Expo Hall floor," said Penny Arcade's Robert Khoo. "We're happy that we could support these amazingly talented developers and want to thank everyone who voted for their participation."
"The intense sense of purpose and camaraderie amongst The PAX 10 was astonishing," commented Michael Wilford of Twisted Pixel. "We feel extremely lucky to have been chosen from such an august group and grateful to have been a part of the PAX experience."
The Maw will feature an all-original, interactive soundtrack by Interactive Achievement Award-winning composer Winifred Phillips, who has composed music for such well-known game titles as God of War, Speed Racer, and The Da Vinci Code. For The Maw, Phillips has created a vibrant jazz soundtrack that highlights the progress of the main characters, Frank and Maw, while simultaneously responding to the player’s actions as the game unfolds.
The complete list of 2008's The PAX 10 (in alphabetical order):
- The Amazing Brain Train by Grubby Games (puzzle/strategy)
- Audio Surf by Dylan Fitterer (rhythm/action)
- Chronotron by Scarybug Games (puzzle/platformer)
- Impulse by a team of Rochester Institute of Technology students (puzzle)
- The Maw by Twisted Pixel Games (action/adventure)
- Polarity by a team of Carnegie Mellon University students (platformer/puzzle)
- Project Aftermath by Games Faction (tactical/action)
- Schizoid by Torpex Games (action/strategy)
- Strange Attractors 2 by Ominous Development (puzzle/strategy)
- Sushi Bar Samurai by Molly Rocket (exploratory puzzle)
The Maw, rated "E10+" for Everyone 10 and up, is currently scheduled for Q1 2009.
More articles about The Maw