Men of War takes place in Europe and North Africa during the height of World War II, the story unfolding across three different campaigns played out through the eyes of Soviet, Allied and German soldiers. Each campaign has its own scenario and structured timeline bringing a different story of the war to life.
The main Soviet campaign sees two student comrades, Smirnov and Kuznetzov, join the army and quickly become brothers in arms as they rise through the ranks and experience the rigours of war. The whole story unfolds across three campaigns, with five German and five Allied missions completing the trilogy, each telling a different story of WWII spanning across Russia, North Africa, Ukraine, Greece, Germany, Italy and the Pacific.
It is necessary to register up in the DMS forums where you will find a post on the Beta test. From here you will need to post some details and shortly afterwards you will receive a private message with a unique CD-key, that will allow you to join the game once you downloaded it.
Features of the multiplayer part of the game:
- Fully destructible environments – use newly formed tank shell craters as cover for your men
- Brand new physics and armor penetration system.
- Each mission and battle plays out differently based on your tactical choices
- Hundreds of accurately modeled tanks and vehicles ready for your command
- Realistic visibility and audibility system. Detect enemies by sight or hear them moving behind objects
- Smart AI searches for your men covered in bushes and calls for them for reinforcements.
- Four different playable multiplayer nations
- Direct Control
- Up to 16 players via LAN or Network
- In game browser including ranked statistics
- Several well tested and intense game modes
- Cooperative game mode allows you to play through the campaigns with your friends
- Dedicated network of servers, allowing any player to host a game
- Varied and challenging multiplayer maps
- Balanced settings - the smarter player, not the fastest wins the battle
Men of War will feature no less than twenty new units to play with, including new designs on tanks, APCs and heavy guns. Dynamic in-game video enhances the single player missions, while the sounds of war have been given new range with over one hundred new sound effects of weapons and combat gear, recorded under real operating conditions. The single player campaign will also feature a fully customizable user interface, so players are able to have their command layout just as they please.
In addition to the in-depth single player experience, Men of War also unleashes all new multiplayer maps along with new ‘capture the flag’ and ‘high-value cargo’ modes, all faithfully recreated with stunning graphics and refined AI. A new rating system has also been introduced to ensure a fair fight in online multiplayer battles.
There are 5 playable multiplayer nations in Men of War - Russia, Germany, USA, the British Commonwealth and Japan. Those nations vary a lot from each other, i.e. the Commonwealth has good ordnance firepower and strong middle class tanks, while Japan has a very strong artillery weapons (such as 200mm rocket launchers and 120mm naval gun carriers), but suffers from poorly armored tanks. Germans were well-prepared before they started the war, while the Russian army was less equipped and ready for the military operations they faced where as the American soldiers prefer to use stealth tactics as their tanks are poorly armored, but well mounted!
- Three evolving storylines in the Soviet, Allied and German armies, comprising 19 missions in 3 campaigns
- 7 bonus missions for different sides of the conflict
- More than 50 new units to use in multiplayer mode
- Direct control system. Take over the control of every single soldier, or drive tanks and other vehicles, set up ambushes with antitank guns and blow your enemies up with precise and deadly aimed shots at their weak spots
- System of ratings and statistics for every participant in multiplayer mode
- New nation in multiplayer mode - Japan
- Revised controls interface – customizable and easier to use
- New multiplayer maps and 2 new game modes
- Highly detailed WWII environments and characters and faithfully recreated with a cutting-edge graphics engine
Men of War is scheduled for a summer 2008 release around the world.
More articles about Men of War